Vista
Linea Recta
2008-03-24 14:55:14 UTC
I have PGP 8.1 working nicely on PC Windows 2000SP4.
Recently bought notebook with Windows Vista. Can I use my PGP version for
Vista?
--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os
Tamzen Cannoy
2008-03-25 03:52:57 UTC
No since Vista is an entirely different OS, you need 9.6
Otto Sykora
2008-03-29 09:58:03 UTC
Q:
did anybody try to use one of the 685ckt on vista?

My old copy of some 7.1.1 or refused to work on XP, thought it did
work on w2k well. On Xp however the 658ckt9.3 version works perfect.
Wilfried Hennings
2008-03-31 11:15:46 UTC
Post by Otto Sykora
did anybody try to use one of the 685ckt on vista?
My old copy of some 7.1.1 or refused to work on XP, thought it did
work on w2k well. On Xp however the 658ckt9.3 version works perfect.
I use 6.5.8 (however not ckt but the version from
http://www.pgpi.org/products/pgp/versions/freeware/win32/6.5.8/ )
both on XP and Vista.
To get it running under Vista, I had to set first the installer and then
the installed files to "XP compatibility mode".
Furthermore, I run the Vista system with UserAccessControl (UAC)
DISabled (because e.g. Eudora has problems writing to registry when UAC
is enabled), but I did not (yet) test whether pgp6.5.8 would run with
UAC ENabled.

--
Wilfried Hennings
please reply in the newsgroup, the e-mail address is invalid
Otto Sykora
2008-03-31 16:57:15 UTC
OK thank Wilfried, it looks like the 658 would be possible to use
under Vista after all.
No fancy things in it, so it could work.
The ckt version is somehow patched to work better under XP then the
original, also it is patched against the CZ flaw apparently etc.
Under XP it works perfect as far as I can see it, so if you managed
under Vista this way, it should work there as well.

Otto Sykora
***@tzk.pu (ROT13)
Anonymous Remailer
2008-03-31 20:54:45 UTC
Post by Otto Sykora
The ckt version is somehow patched to work better under XP then the
original, also it is patched against the CZ flaw apparently etc.
Why use a patched version from some nutty Arab? The "official" version
from pgpi works just fine.
Otto Sykora
2008-04-01 17:15:25 UTC
Post by Anonymous Remailer
Why use a patched version from some nutty Arab? The "official" version
from pgpi works just fine.
yes, to tell I had some small problems with the original 658, somehow
some operations with the current windows did not work well on xp.
Thought I do not use those best algos of today, they are also added
here to be more uptodate.
also I some of the patches added in later years were added here, Imad
published all those sources too, so it should do the job I think.
Linea Recta
2008-04-27 19:50:10 UTC
Post by Tamzen Cannoy
Post by Linea Recta
I have PGP 8.1 working nicely on PC Windows 2000SP4.
Recently bought notebook with Windows Vista. Can I use my PGP version for
Vista?
No since Vista is an entirely different OS, you need 9.6
OK thanks. So it looks like I have to move on to TrueCrypt...
--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk