Problem to see the documents after mounting PGP disk
Per Gulbrandsen
2009-02-16 00:17:30 UTC
For a long time I have been using PGP disk for sensitive documents on my PC.
I use the last version of PGP, version 9.9. Mounting the disk has functioned
without problems until recently. Mounting the disk is not the problem, but
when the disk is mounted, only 1 document is shown. There are hundreds of
documents that are encrypted, but only one is shown. I have tried all
possible ways to get the files visible, without success. The encrypted disk
appears to be fine and the password phrase works fine. There are no mounting
problems.
When I run a virusscan of the PGP disk after it is mounted, I can see that
each file is displayed and scanned in the antivirus scan window. That means
that they physically are on the disk, but they are just not available, with
the exception of one single file. This is critical documents for me, and I
need to have them to be fully available again. How can I solve this problem?
Thank you for your help.

Best regards
pegu
Arthur T.
2009-02-16 01:11:12 UTC
Post by Per Gulbrandsen
when the disk is mounted, only 1 document is shown. There are hundreds of
documents that are encrypted, but only one is shown. I have tried all
possible ways to get the files visible, without success. The encrypted disk
appears to be fine and the password phrase works fine. There are no mounting
problems.
When I run a virusscan of the PGP disk after it is mounted, I can see that
each file is displayed and scanned in the antivirus scan window. That means
that they physically are on the disk, but they are just not available, with
the exception of one single file. This is critical documents for me, and I
need to have them to be fully available again. How can I solve this problem?
1. What happens when you mount a backup copy of the disk?

2. What do you see if, from the command line, you issue
dir /s/a

3. Have you checked your whole PC for malware? Did you do it from
a bootable medium instead of from the Windows you normally run?

4. Can you copy the PGP disk to another machine with PGP installed?
If so, what happens on that other PC?

5. After making a fresh copy of the container file, you might try
mounting the disk and using some of the fine, free utilities for
data recovery.

6. As I believe that PGPDisk doesn't work in the free version, you
have paid for a license. Have you contacted PGP support?

P.S.
When asking for help, you shouldn't make us guess your
operating system.
--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" intergate "dot" com
Looking for a z/OS (IBM mainframe) systems programmer position