PGPckt on XP?
Casey
2008-10-11 17:31:46 UTC
Hi All,
My son is building an XP machine for me.
Will PGP658ckt09b3 install and run o.k. on XP??
Thank you very much.
Casey
Otto Sykora
2008-10-12 11:04:51 UTC
Post by Casey
Hi All,
My son is building an XP machine for me.
Will PGP658ckt09b3 install and run o.k. on XP??
Thank you very much.
Casey
I am running it that way and it works fine, no problems.
Only thing you have to observ, when trying to run the pgp disk, this has
to be run as admin (admin rights for thedriver)
Casey
2008-10-12 17:16:01 UTC
Post by Otto Sykora
Post by Casey
Hi All,
My son is building an XP machine for me.
Will PGP658ckt09b3 install and run o.k. on XP??
Thank you very much.
Casey
I am running it that way and it works fine, no problems.
Only thing you have to observ, when trying to run the pgp disk, this has
to be run as admin (admin rights for thedriver)
Thank you Otto--good info.
Casey
Roberto Franceschetti
2008-10-12 17:15:06 UTC
Post by Casey
Hi All,
My son is building an XP machine for me.
Will PGP658ckt09b3 install and run o.k. on XP??
Thank you very much.
Casey
Most of the features in PGP 6.5.8 will work on XP (I think that only the
Outlook plugins in that version will not work).
--
Roberto Franceschetti
LogSat Software
http://www.logsat.com
Otto Sykora
2008-10-13 06:22:15 UTC
Post by Roberto Franceschetti
Most of the features in PGP 6.5.8 will work on XP (I think that only the
Outlook plugins in that version will not work).
yes, since the plughins are outlook dependent, they will work in outlook
they were written for.
That means: if you can have something like outlook 2k, it will work (I
have one installation like this) but it will not work, or rather not
work 100percent correctly with later outlook.
So it works with outlook 2003, but there are some small snags then to be
observed.
h***@gawab.com
2008-10-16 18:15:36 UTC
Post by Casey
Hi All,
My son is building an XP machine for me.
Will PGP658ckt09b3 install and run o.k. on XP??
Thank you very much.
Casey
Everything I read here is absolutely true. PGP658ckt09b3 performs
very, very well with XP. And one nice thing about it is that ckt is so
backwardly compatible I can even deal effectively with those who still
use the old 2.6.X versions of PGP.

But there is a caveat. It's not serious enough to make give up on ckt,
but the user should be aware of it. The problem (if it is one) is that
after Windows XP has been updated to a certain point, the "current
window" function stops working. After it stops working the ONLY way to
encrypt what's on the screen is to first place that data on the
clipboard then use the clipboard for encrypting, signing etc.

I don't know why that happens. All I know for sure is that I always
kept XP updated to the minute if possible. Usually I found that when I
got around to it there were actually three or four updates available.
I must have installed at least twenty five of them before the problem
with PGP arose.

Recently I downloaded the SP3 upgrade kit for XP. Soon afterward I re-
installed PGP and started from scratch. The reasoning behind that move
was to obtain a 'virgin' copy of XP, configured EXACTLY the way I want
it, then do a full-drive backup of of what I had. I did all that. All
my programming and all my drivers are now safely backed up, and
instead of spending twelve hours producing a 'fresh copy of fully
functional XP, I can restore that 'virgin' state in less than thirty
minutes. What a relief that is.

Needless to say, I installed the SP3 upgrade as the last maneuver. The
moment I did that the 'current window' function of PGP stopped
working. Thats a bit disconcerting but it isn't enough to force me
back to a later and (as far as I'm concerned) inferior rendition of
PGP. Faiad produced a real gem when he created PGP PGP658ckt09b3. I'll
live without the 'current window' function and use only the clipboard
for the encryption/decryption/signing procedures. And I'll love every
moment of it! :^)

Bob
Otto Sykora
2008-10-18 22:07:31 UTC
Post by h***@gawab.com
Post by Casey
Hi All,
But there is a caveat. It's not serious enough to make give up on ckt,
but the user should be aware of it. The problem (if it is one) is that
after Windows XP has been updated to a certain point, the "current
window" function stops working. After it stops working the ONLY way to
encrypt what's on the screen is to first place that data on the
clipboard then use the clipboard for encrypting, signing etc.
OK this was one of the things I had in mind, but:
it is not so problematic as it looks.
It is so, that when you use the current window in some applications (not
all) , it will capture the controls text content, it will place it into
the clipboard, it will do on it the requested operation, but it will
sometimes fail to paste the results back to the current windows control.
In such case I simply ctrl+v or paste with the mouse.
As I said, not all apps have this problem, but some have.
h***@gawab.com
2008-10-19 18:50:44 UTC
Post by Otto Sykora
Post by h***@gawab.com
Post by Casey
Hi All,
But there is a caveat. It's not serious enough to make give up on ckt,
but the user should be aware of it. The problem (if it is one) is that
after Windows XP has been updated to a certain point, the "current
window" function stops working. After it stops working the ONLY way to
encrypt what's on the screen is to first place that data on the
clipboard then use the clipboard for encrypting, signing etc.
it is not so problematic as it looks.
It certainly is not.
Post by Otto Sykora
It is so, that when you use the current window in some applications (not
all) , it will capture the controls text content, it will place it into
 the clipboard, it will do on it the requested operation, but it will
sometimes fail to paste the results back to the current windows control.
That is also true. But I maintain that the problem lies NOT with PGP
but with Windows XP. You see, PGP 6.5.8ckt worked perfectly with XP
until I updated XP to some unknown level. When I reached that 'update
point' the Current Window function of ckt stopped working properly.
Post by Otto Sykora
In such case I simply ctrl+v or paste with the mouse.
As I said, not all apps have this problem, but some have.
After the update of XP all my apps developed the problem. But, as you
and I both said, the problem isn't all that serious. In my case I type
the text into the Current Window then hold down the <Ctrl> key and
press AX. That clears the Current Window and places the text on the
clipboard. After that I click the padlock in the system tray and
invoke the 'clipboard' function to select the recipient. Once that's
done I go back to the Currnet Window and hold down the <Ctrl> key as I
press the letter V. PRESTO! The encrypted text is in the Current
Window.

Fact is, though, that I can't use the Current Window function to
emcrypt text. Not after updating XP beyond a certain point. No big
deal. I'm certainly not going to jettison ckt because of it. What the
heck . . .? EVERY version of PGP seems to display a problem or two
when combined with one or another operating system. My solution is to
avoid the Current Window function and use the clipboard instead. :^)

Bob