Encryption software for XP?
Sarah Houston
2008-11-20 19:32:22 UTC
I use Pegasus mail on Windows XP Home edition.

Is there some kind of software for sending encrypted emails to friends,
with strong encryption, but pretty much transparently done ( don't have to
fast and meditate to be able to use it? ) and that doesn't cost much for
the software?
VanguardLH
2008-11-20 20:31:06 UTC
Post by Sarah Houston
I use Pegasus mail on Windows XP Home edition.
Is there some kind of software for sending encrypted emails to friends,
with strong encryption, but pretty much transparently done ( don't have to
fast and meditate to be able to use it? ) and that doesn't cost much for
the software?
Doesn't the Pegasus e-mail client support x.509 e-mail certificates?
You can get them for free at Thawte (acquired by Verisign but the e-mail
certs from Thawte are still free). You don't encrypt your e-mails. You
decrypt those that you receive. Encryption is by invite: someone sends
you a digitally signed e-mail using the public key from their e-mail
cert. You then encrypt your e-mail using THEIR public key. When they
get your e-mail, they decrypt using THEIR private key which only they
have. For you to *get* encrypted e-mails, you send the other person
your public key by digitally signing your e-mail to them which they used
to decrypt their e-mail which you use your private key to decrypt. The
sender needs the public key from the recipient's e-mail cert. If the
recipient doesn't want to get encrypted e-mails, they just never bother
sending you their public key, so they invite you to encrypt to them.

Been awhile since I trialed Pegasus but I doubt that it doesn't support
encrypted e-mails. http://www.pmail.com/overviews/ovw_winpmail.htm
mentions encryption but it mentions PGP. I've never wasted my time with
PGP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy) but instead just
used the standardized X.509 certs primarily because support has been
built into the e-mail clients that I've used.
Sarah Houston
2008-11-21 07:10:40 UTC
Post by VanguardLH
Post by Sarah Houston
I use Pegasus mail on Windows XP Home edition.
Is there some kind of software for sending encrypted emails to
friends, with strong encryption, but pretty much transparently done
( don't have to fast and meditate to be able to use it? ) and that
doesn't cost much for the software?
Doesn't the Pegasus e-mail client support x.509 e-mail certificates?
I honestly don't know, I've never used encryption before.

I tried years ago ( mid-90's ), but it was REALLY hard to use, at least
for me.
I know so little about this yet, which is why I was asking.
Neil - Salem, MA USA
2008-11-22 00:04:35 UTC
Post by Sarah Houston
Post by VanguardLH
[...]
As VanguardLH says, X.509 Certificates are supported by many email clients.
You can get one from Thawte for free
(http://www.thawte.com/secure-email/personal-email-certificates/) or you can
generate your own using OpenSSL.

I have create my own self-signed Certificate and private key using OpenSSL.
It's very easy and it's free.

If you want some guidance on how to create your own Certificate using
OpenSSL, post back here and I'll give you some links that will help you.

You probably know that you can get PGP Desktop for free
(http://www.pgp.com/downloads/desktoptrial/desktoptrial2.htm) and then
purchase a license for $99 that will allow you to automate your email
encryption and decryption as you send and receive emails. I've chosen to
use this option along with using X.509 Certificates.

Neil - Salem, MA USA
Russ
2008-11-22 01:21:17 UTC
Post by Neil - Salem, MA USA
Post by Sarah Houston
Post by VanguardLH
[...]
You mean http://www.pgp.com/downloads/desktoptrial/desktoptrial2.html
(missed the "L" on the end)
I guess some browsers might ignore it..Firefox didn't.
Neil - Salem, MA USA
Woops ...thanks Russ.
David H. Lipman
2008-11-20 21:10:28 UTC
From: "Sarah Houston" <***@pndfnospam.com>

| I use Pegasus mail on Windows XP Home edition.

| Is there some kind of software for sending encrypted emails to friends,
| with strong encryption, but pretty much transparently done ( don't have to
| fast and meditate to be able to use it? ) and that doesn't cost much for
| the software?

News:comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows

or

http://community.pmail.com/

{ A /*Long*/ time user of P-Mail and presently using v4.50 PB1 }
--
Dave
Sarah Houston
2008-11-21 07:16:21 UTC
Post by David H. Lipman
| I use Pegasus mail on Windows XP Home edition.
| Is there some kind of software for sending encrypted emails to
| friends, with strong encryption, but pretty much transparently done
| ( don't have to fast and meditate to be able to use it? ) and that
| doesn't cost much for the software?
News:comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows
or
http://community.pmail.com/
{ A /*Long*/ time user of P-Mail and presently using v4.50 PB1 }
I've been using Pegasus for as long as I've been on the internet, like
1994 or so.

I thought they'd stopped new development on it.
Ari
2008-11-22 11:15:26 UTC
Post by Sarah Houston
Post by David H. Lipman
| I use Pegasus mail on Windows XP Home edition.
| Is there some kind of software for sending encrypted emails to
| friends, with strong encryption, but pretty much transparently done
| ( don't have to fast and meditate to be able to use it? ) and that
| doesn't cost much for the software?
News:comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows
or
http://community.pmail.com/
{ A /*Long*/ time user of P-Mail and presently using v4.50 PB1 }
I've been using Pegasus for as long as I've been on the internet, like
1994 or so.
I thought they'd stopped new development on it.
You might be better off encrypting a Word or Notepad file then loading
it as an attachment.

http://www.axantum.com/AxCrypt/Sourceforge.html

...is very simple to use. Whomever you send the encrypted file to will
need to have a copy of Axcrypt as well. Freeware.

There is a auto-decrypting feature so that your Recipient doesn't have
to have AxCrypt) but this turns your file into an .exe which many email
programs and services might reject.
Box750
2008-11-22 02:53:27 UTC
Post by Sarah Houston
I use Pegasus mail on Windows XP Home edition.
Is there some kind of software for sending encrypted emails to friends,
with strong encryption, but pretty much transparently done ( don't have to
fast and meditate to be able to use it? ) and that doesn't cost much for
the software?
PGP-Frontend is a plugin, which enables you to use PGP (Pretty Good
Privacy) within Pegasus Mail, it is free.

http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/indexen.htm
Privacylover:http://www.privacylover.com
Casey419
2008-12-04 18:14:01 UTC
Post by Sarah Houston
I use Pegasus mail on Windows XP Home edition.
Is there some kind of software for sending encrypted emails to friends,
with strong encryption, but pretty much transparently done ( don't have to
fast and meditate to be able to use it? ) and that doesn't cost much for
the software?
Sara, you might try free QDPGP which is an encryption plugin designed
for Pegasus mail. It works on XP.
http://www.grt.net.tt/qdpgp.html
Casey