Modifying PGP Version Text
Casper
2009-06-01 02:36:57 UTC
In the signature line below, how do I go about having PGP insert the version
number instead of it saying N/A. I'm using PGP 6.5.8.
Stray Cat
2009-06-01 02:50:54 UTC
On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 03:36:57 +0100 (BST), Casper
Depends on where your PGP came from, I suppose. When I was running
6.5.8, it was Imad's CKT build, and this was user settable. You could
put whatever you wanted in there.

And I guess you could cobble something in with a hex editor.
Casper
2009-06-01 06:11:53 UTC
Post by Stray Cat
On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 03:36:57 +0100 (BST), Casper
Depends on where your PGP came from, I suppose. When I was running
6.5.8, it was Imad's CKT build, and this was user settable. You could
put whatever you wanted in there.
And I guess you could cobble something in with a hex editor.
Stray Cat, the version I have says PGP 6.5.8ctk Build: 09b2. Which exe file
would need to be patched or should I just let this one go?
Stray Cat
2009-06-01 14:14:44 UTC
On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 07:11:53 +0100 (BST), Casper
Post by Casper
Post by Stray Cat
On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 03:36:57 +0100 (BST), Casper
Depends on where your PGP came from, I suppose. When I was running
6.5.8, it was Imad's CKT build, and this was user settable. You could
put whatever you wanted in there.
And I guess you could cobble something in with a hex editor.
Stray Cat, the version I have says PGP 6.5.8ctk Build: 09b2. Which exe file
would need to be patched or should I just let this one go?
The CKT build I ran didn't need any hacking. There was a box where you
could put whatever version line in you wanted.

I was running PGP 6.5.8 CKT Build 8. It's still available here:

ftp://ftp.zedz.net/pub/crypto/pgp/pgp60/pgp658_ckt/

But I'm not sure why the feature would have been removed in later
builds, one of which you have.

Are you sure you have looked around fully for the version string
option in your copy?
Mathias Fuhrmann
2009-06-01 16:44:56 UTC
Post by Stray Cat
The CKT build I ran didn't need any hacking. There was a box where you
could put whatever version line in you wanted.
But I'm not sure why the feature would have been removed in later
builds, one of which you have.
PGP 6.5.8ckt - Build:09b3 :
PGP Options/General >Commentblock

Mathias
Mathias Fuhrmann
2009-06-01 16:54:11 UTC
Post by Mathias Fuhrmann
Post by Stray Cat
The CKT build I ran didn't need any hacking. There was a box where you
could put whatever version line in you wanted.
But I'm not sure why the feature would have been removed in later
builds, one of which you have.
PGP Options/General >Commentblock
Sorry, the Version-String is on: PGP Options/Email >Version String
Preference

Mathias
Casper
2009-06-01 19:08:10 UTC
Post by Stray Cat
On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 07:11:53 +0100 (BST), Casper
<BIG SNIP>
Post by Stray Cat
Are you sure you have looked around fully for the version string
option in your copy?
Stray Cat I opened up PGPKEYS and selected EDIT | OPTIONS | EMAIL and at the
bottom of that tab is an option for Version String. My version of PGP was
already selected in the field. I selected another version of PGP saved that
and then reselected my correct version, so I'm not sure what else I need to
do.

I don't recall when I installed the program whether I was asked, if I wanted
my version number to show.
Stray Cat
2009-06-01 19:27:24 UTC
On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 20:08:10 +0100 (BST), Casper
Sorry, I don't have an answer for you. This feature worked for me in
6.5.8 Build 8. If it's that important to you, maybe you will try that
one.
David E. Ross
2009-06-01 14:47:00 UTC
Post by Casper
In the signature line below, how do I go about having PGP insert the version
number instead of it saying N/A. I'm using PGP 6.5.8.
See "Change The Version Line?" in Tom McCune's
<http://www.mccune.cc/PGPpage2.htm#VersionLine>. You will need a hex
editor.
--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

Don't ask "Why is there road rage?" Instead, ask
"Why NOT Road Rage?" or "Why Is There No Such
Thing as Fast Enough?"
<http://www.rossde.com/roadrage.html>
Casper
2009-06-01 23:50:06 UTC
Is the version string always 'N/A';
even when you clearsign text locally?
No, when I did a cut and paste of the text above to NOTEPAD and then selected
PGP from the System Tray, and then clearsigned the message, I got this output.

If I let Quicksilver do the signing and encryping of my outgoing mail, it
appears to be using Version: N/A option. I have QS pointed to the correct PGP
subdirectory. Is there some configuration file somewhere else that QS could
be using that is overriding what I see inside of my PGP configuration screen?
Stray Cat
2009-06-02 01:05:27 UTC
On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 00:50:06 +0100 (BST), Casper
If I let Quicksilver do the signing and encryping of my outgoing mail, it
appears to be using Version: N/A option. I have QS pointed to the correct PGP
subdirectory. Is there some configuration file somewhere else that QS could
be using that is overriding what I see inside of my PGP configuration screen?
It looks like your PGP CKT is behaving properly. And that the use of
QS is causing the "problem."

Maybe it's doing the versioning different for a reason related to
enhancing anonymity. That is, your use of any non-standard version
string could be used against you.
Casper
2009-06-02 06:05:51 UTC
Is the version string always 'N/A';
even when you clearsign text locally?
<BIG SNIP>
I don't know anything about Quicksilver.
Quicksilver may use the command line version of your PGP installation.
The command line (PGP.EXE) application's version string is
PGP 6.5.8ckt http://www.ipgpp.com/ and is not controlled by
the GUI setting.
As Stray Cat wrote...
"a reason related to enhancing anonymity".
For the same reason Jack B Nymble and Reliable randomize the PGP
version strings. Without reviewing the code; 80% of the time the
string is 'N/A', the remainder is one of a canned set of strings.
A quick review of the code shows that Quicksilver does also alter
the PGP version strings.
Thanks for sharing that information. I guess I'll have to live with this
quirk of QS.