GnuPG and hardware token
Atlantis
2010-01-29 12:51:49 UTC
Is it possible to use some kind of USB hardware token with GnuPG, to
safely store private key?
George Orwell
2010-01-29 18:02:17 UTC
Post by Atlantis
Is it possible to use some kind of USB hardware token with GnuPG, to
safely store private key?
Of course. You can accomplish this as simply as configuring your gpg.conf
to point to your token as a default keyring location. When the token is
absent it will (I believe) use $HOMEDIR/.gnupg/ (or the Windows
equivalent). So you'll have two sets of keys... an "empty" set and the
one on your dongle.

I use this "trick" with Truecrypt, both on a thumb drive and by way of
smaller encrypted volumes. In a nutshell, I set up encrypted containers
to mount to $HOMEDIR/.gnupg, so that when they're mounted they're used
automatically without any gpg.conf messiness. I also do the same with all
my SSH keys.

https://www.mixmaster.it
Atlantis
2010-01-29 18:30:17 UTC
Post by George Orwell
Of course. You can accomplish this as simply as configuring your gpg.conf
to point to your token as a default keyring location. When the token is
absent it will (I believe) use $HOMEDIR/.gnupg/ (or the Windows
equivalent). So you'll have two sets of keys... an "empty" set and the
one on your dongle.
Can you tell me something about those tokens? Is it normal PenDrive or
much more sophicticated device? How many keys could be stored on such
device? Could it hold entire keyring (my private key and all public keys)?

Can I use one device for storing both: GnuPG and TrueCrypt keys?