Decryption failure with pgpv command
Arun Kumar
2020-12-05 18:45:18 UTC
Though we use the correct private key , decryption is getting failed with below message. Could someone help me fix this issue pls?

pgpv -v - f test.csv.pgp
Need a passphrase to decrypt a private key:
1024 bits, Key ID: CXG1023 created: 1998-12-03
"key for appdynamics"
Enter Passphrase:
Passphrase is good:
cannot decrypt the message. It can only be decrypted by:
1024 bits, Key ID: CXG1023 created: 1998-12-03
"key for appdynamics"
Johann Beretta
2021-01-09 00:27:24 UTC
Post by Arun Kumar
Though we use the correct private key , decryption is getting failed with below message. Could someone help me fix this issue pls?
pgpv -v - f test.csv.pgp
1024 bits, Key ID: CXG1023 created: 1998-12-03
"key for appdynamics"
1024 bits, Key ID: CXG1023 created: 1998-12-03
"key for appdynamics"
It would appear you have all the information you need.

Whatever key you have isn't the right key or you are using the wrong key.
Post by Arun Kumar
1024 bits, Key ID: CXG1023 created: 1998-12-03
"key for appdynamics"
That key is about 22 years old. If you're requiring help, I'm going to
ASSUME you haven't been using pgp for the last 22 years.... The key
required probably belongs to someone else.
David E. Ross
2021-01-09 00:45:35 UTC
Post by Arun Kumar
1024 bits, Key ID: CXG1023 created: 1998-12-03
"key for appdynamics"
That key is about 22 years old. If you're requiring help, I'm going to
ASSUME you haven't been using pgp for the last 22 years.... The key
required probably belongs to someone else.
The encrypted file might be corrupted. The slightest change -- even a
single character -- can prevent decryption.

I tried using PGP Dump to get the characteristics of the file, but that
application could not open the file.
--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

I just do not understand why so many people think
a sore loser makes a great President.
Johann Beretta
2021-01-16 00:42:29 UTC
Post by David E. Ross
The encrypted file might be corrupted. The slightest change -- even a
single character -- can prevent decryption.
I tried using PGP Dump to get the characteristics of the file, but that
application could not open the file.
Unlikely in this situation. PGP isn't reporting a corrupted file. It's
reporting that the wrong key is being used to attempt to decrypt it.

"key for appdynamics"
David E. Ross
2021-01-16 01:10:40 UTC
Post by Johann Beretta
Post by David E. Ross
The encrypted file might be corrupted. The slightest change -- even a
single character -- can prevent decryption.
I tried using PGP Dump to get the characteristics of the file, but that
application could not open the file.
Unlikely in this situation. PGP isn't reporting a corrupted file. It's
reporting that the wrong key is being used to attempt to decrypt it.
1024 bits, Key ID: CXG1023 created: 1998-12-03
"key for appdynamics"
The file attached to your reply is a public key. Decryption requires a
private key.
--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

The only reason we have so many laws is that not enough people will do
the right thing. (© 1997 by David Ross)
Johann Beretta
Are you talking to me?
David E. Ross

Johann Beretta
2021-02-15 03:41:10 UTC
Post by Johann Beretta
Post by David E. Ross
The file attached to your reply is a public key. Decryption requires a
private key.
Are you talking to me?
Yes.
Uh.. Yeah. I know how PGP works. I've been using it for north of 20
years. The "file" attached to my replies is my public key. It's
attached to every message. It has nothing to do with the decryption
topic at hand.