PGP Rookie ?
t***@junkmail.com
2008-03-09 04:52:07 UTC
I downloaded the PGP Desktop Trail about 8 months ago and let it
expire. In my case I am getting some text files weekly that are being
sent to me and I use PGP to unencrypt them and store them. Process
seems to be working well but truthfully, not sure why for I don't
understand it all. I indicated I let it expire. I didnt need all the
fancy stuff so the freeware works fine.

But here is the question, while on vacation somebody else will need to
deal with the files. So I went and downloaded the 9.8.1 desktop with
the idea to put it on a open PC so somebody can grab the file and
store it. Have not installed it yet for I have some questions.

Is what I want to do possible? Basically allow either myself or
another computer unencrypt the files.

Is it as simple as downloading the program, install it. and then
import the key.

Could use some help from one of you experts, for some reason I just am
not understanding this.

Thanks,
Tom McCune
2008-03-09 13:28:53 UTC
Post by t***@junkmail.com
[...]
That sounds basically correct. You will need to export the key with making
sure to make the check for inclusion of the private key. After importing
the key, you will need to right click on the key, select Key Properties,
and set it as having Implicit Trust.

- --
Tom McCune
David E. Ross
2008-03-10 03:08:44 UTC
Post by Tom McCune
Post by t***@junkmail.com
[...]
Just remember that someone else will then have your private key and
passphase. How much do you trust that person?

Also, it appears that you are using PGP in a business environment. The
freeware version is licensed only for personal, non-business use.

If you purchased a non-freeware version, it would include the ADK
capability, which would allow your business to have a master key for
decrypting messages in your absence without compromising your private
key or passphrase. For a brief overview of ADK, see my
<http://www.rossde.com/PGP/pgp-adk.html>.
--
David Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Have you been using Netscape and now feel abandoned by AOL?
Then use SeaMonkey. Go to <http://www.seamonkey-project.org/>.