Article in Business Week on Government E-Security
Dan
2008-04-17 03:57:15 UTC
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/08_16/b4080032218430.htm?chan=magazine+channel_top+stories

Just as I would expect from our incompetent government, no questioning
of why government employees in sensitive jobs are not using PGP for
encryption and digital signing.
Em
2008-04-18 02:19:25 UTC
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/08_16/b4080032218430.htm...
Just as I would expect from our incompetent government, no questioning
of why government employees in sensitive jobs are not using PGP for
encryption and digital signing.
Being married to a person who DOES work for government and after
meeting a number of my spouse's co-workers, there is absolutely no
question in my mind regarding why none of them use it.

Solbu
2008-04-18 04:43:13 UTC
Post by Em
there is absolutely no
question in my mind regarding why none of them use it.
May we ask, what is the reason?

- --
Solbu - http://www.solbu.net
Remove 'ugyldig.' for email
PGP key ID: 0xFA687324
Charlie Kroeger
2008-04-18 05:49:54 UTC
Post by Solbu
May we ask, what is the reason?
Irony is lost on foreigners.
CK
Dan
2008-04-18 16:25:41 UTC
Post by Charlie Kroeger
Post by Solbu
May we ask, what is the reason?
Irony is lost on foreigners.
Because government does not work efficiently. 'Less government is
better government'. But using PGP is not hard these days so it must be
due to ignorance, or maybe this article is phony and part of a honey pot
scheme.
Manatee Memories
2008-04-18 05:59:36 UTC
Post by Em
there is absolutely no
question in my mind regarding why none of them use it.
May we ask, what is the reason?

There are several of them. The first and possibly the most
important is that they don't have the brains for it. Any
government employee in the position you describe has been there
for a while. The bright ones have long since dropped out and
are now working for private industry. Only the chaff remains
with government. Folks like that don't fit well with pgp.

The second reason is they don't have the courage for it. That
subject is a long one and there is insufficient room for it
here, but the fact is that government, as far as possible, is
run as a committee. That is done so that no individual will EVER
be forced to accept responsibility for anything. And NOT ONE one
of those irresponsible employees will ever step away from the
crowd and do something new or unusual on his or her own. Doing
something like that casts a light on the individual. NO
GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE HAS THE COURAGE FOR THAT. At least I never
met one.

One could write volumes on the subject, but maybe it was best
explained by C. Northkote Parkinson in a book I think he called
"Parkinson's Law." Any of you ever read it? It's an oldie but a
goodie.