Ping - David W. Hodgins
1PW
2008-11-22 00:53:57 UTC
Hello David:

I didn't wish to steal the other thread, so I've started a separate one.

I do so enjoy reading any sane and authoritative posts, and yours are
always in those numbers sir.

In the previous OP's thread:

From: jgreuel <***@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: alt.security.pgp
Subject: gpg/pgp integration issues

You suggest that the OP obtain the private/secret key from the GnuPG
system on the Windows server. Although this may not be an important
issue, if both business keys are from closely related entities, I
certainly would think many times over, if a user on a distant Unix
system requested my private/secret key. Even then, I would not let
anyone have my private/secret key - even if I withheld my passphrase.
On the surface, this seems to be a threat to the PKI Web Of Trust. Even
though I haven't given you the private/secret key's passphrase, I
normally wouldn't feel good about others having my private/secret key.

I /know/ that I only need your public key to send /you/ an encrypted
email. Am I laboring under a delusion, or is this Unix/Windows thing
a special and totally in-house case?

Hello also to Mr. David E. Ross if you would like to weigh in on this
issue good sir.

Very respectfully,

Pete
--
1PW

@?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]
David W. Hodgins
2008-11-22 03:41:48 UTC
Post by 1PW
system on the Windows server. Although this may not be an important
issue, if both business keys are from closely related entities, I
I'm under the impression, and have assumed that both computers are
controlled by the same person. If that's not the case, the op will
have to clarify what the relationship is.

Regards, Dave Hodgins