Opening PGP encrypted USB drives on other pc
joe
2009-04-24 08:36:00 UTC
I have different versions of PGP desktop (from 9.0 to 9.9) on 3 PC
machines with windows xp pro sp2. Problem is that when i encrypt usb
drive i can't open it on any other PC that has PGP desktop.

I tried all combinations, encrypted on v9.6 and tried to open on v9.9,
i tried other way round. I tried encrypting on v9.0 and opening on v9.6
and v9.9. I always have the sam response. Window pops up asking for
password but when i enter it, it does not accept it as right password.

Does anyone know what may be the problem?

Tnx in advance.
John Smith
2009-04-26 07:42:09 UTC
Post by joe
I have different versions of PGP desktop (from 9.0 to 9.9) on 3 PC
machines with windows xp pro sp2. Problem is that when i encrypt usb
drive i can't open it on any other PC that has PGP desktop.
I tried all combinations, encrypted on v9.6 and tried to open on v9.9,
i tried other way round. I tried encrypting on v9.0 and opening on v9.6
and v9.9. I always have the sam response. Window pops up asking for
password but when i enter it, it does not accept it as right password.
Does anyone know what may be the problem?
Tnx in advance.
The versions don't all work together, I think it has to be the exact
same version. www.securstar.com check them out
Alfred Matej
Probably better off using TrueCrypt for that purpose.
Frank Merlott
2009-04-27 19:16:25 UTC
Post by joe
Does anyone know what may be the problem?
Make sure the keymaps on both computers are the same,
it is possible than on entering the password with a
different keymap this will not coincide.

I would make sure to display the password while
entering it (ie no asterisks).

Other than that I dont know...
--
Privacylover: http://www.privacylover.com