Outlook 2007 crashes when PGP 6.58 tries to decrypt message!
Cornelius
2011-01-09 18:06:11 UTC
Help! Cannot decrypt email received in Outlook 2007. PGP passphrase
dialog box opens. I type it in. Then progress box comes up. Then
Outlook crashes.

WTF???
RichardM
2011-01-10 15:07:22 UTC
Post by Cornelius
Help! Cannot decrypt email received in Outlook 2007. PGP passphrase
dialog box opens. I type it in. Then progress box comes up. Then
Outlook crashes.
WTF???
PGP 6.5.8 is more than ten years old.
The available plugins do no longer work properly since they're are out
of date.
Nancy Head
2011-01-10 16:32:58 UTC
Post by RichardM
Post by Cornelius
Help! Cannot decrypt email received in Outlook 2007. PGP passphrase
dialog box opens. I type it in. Then progress box comes up. Then
Outlook crashes.
WTF???
PGP 6.5.8 is more than ten years old.
The available plugins do no longer work properly since they're are out
of date.
I also use PGP 6.5.8 but am looking for a newer option.
Other than the obvious difference in cost, what are the advantages/
disadvantages of PGP Command line vs. GnuPG and are there other
options I should consider also?

This would run in a Windows environment for commercial use and a
command-line product is required.

Thanks for your input.

Nancy
RichardM
2011-01-11 13:45:02 UTC
Post by Nancy Head
Post by RichardM
Post by Cornelius
Help! Cannot decrypt email received in Outlook 2007. PGP passphrase
dialog box opens. I type it in. Then progress box comes up. Then
Outlook crashes.
WTF???
PGP 6.5.8 is more than ten years old.
The available plugins do no longer work properly since they're are out
of date.
I also use PGP 6.5.8 but am looking for a newer option.
Other than the obvious difference in cost, what are the advantages/
disadvantages of PGP Command line vs. GnuPG and are there other
options I should consider also?
This would run in a Windows environment for commercial use and a
command-line product is required.
Thanks for your input.
Nancy

Hi Nancy

The latest version I've bought for a company was PGP 7.0.3.

PGP 6.5.8. still works well, but the supplied plug-ins don't.

If I remember correctly PGP 6.5.8. is also accessable trough the
MS-DOS command line.

If you are experienced with programming, then, PGP 6.5.8. is very
neat to create your own custom wrappers.

If you want to use PGP for commercial purposes then you should
contact the PGP corporation for the right solution. (www.pgp.com)

If you stay up to date with the latest releases of Windows than
you should have to do that with PGP too I guess.

GnuPG works quiet similar to PGP, but is not equal. (!)

Sorry for my late response, but I started with Python.

I wish you good luck.
Nancy Head
2011-01-14 21:05:56 UTC
Post by RichardM
The latest version I've bought for a company was PGP 7.0.3.
PGP 6.5.8. still works well, but the supplied plug-ins don't.
If I remember correctly PGP 6.5.8. is also accessable trough the
MS-DOS command line.
If you are experienced with programming, then, PGP 6.5.8. is very
neat to create your own custom wrappers.
If you want to use PGP for commercial purposes then you should
contact the PGP corporation for the right solution. (www.pgp.com)
If you stay up to date with the latest releases of Windows than
you should have to do that with PGP too I guess.
GnuPG works quiet similar to PGP, but is not equal. (!)
I appreciate your comments - thank you.

I have looked at 3 options so far...

McAfee eBusiness Server (http://www.mcafee.com/us/products/e-business-
server.aspx) appears to be the "natural descendant" of PGP 6.5.8.
There is even a "legacy mode" option that can be used to set up
aliases using old v6.5.8 syntax for commands.

Symantec now owns PGP Corporation, and PGP Command Line 10.x is the
current version. We also use PGP 8.x for a GUI interface, so that
would "match up" nicely. I know they are the current industry leader.

GnuPG requires a separate add-on for IDEA cipher (which we will need).
Since we'll be running in a Windows environment, I have reservations
about GPG. The user base is overwhelmingly Linux/UNIX
(understandably). It does look like there are a good number of Win
users though also. Do you think I should I be concerned about this at
all?

------------------------
And some other questions about pgp...

I'm a bit new to the details of pgp and am unclear on the difference
between an encryption algorithm and a cipher. Would anyone like to try
explaining the difference, or point me to a good source? I'll do some
more googling over the weekend also.

Is there a way to determine the original program that created the
public key, or can I only read the program that exported the key? (For
example, I exported public keys from a keyring using PGP 8.1 and that
is what shows up at the top of each key - but I'm wondering if I can
determine the software with which each key was created.)

Thanks again,
Nancy