PGP and BlackBerry
David E. Ross
2010-08-19 23:49:51 UTC
Now that several nations are pressuring Research in Motion (RIM) to
allow access to encrypted messages sent via BlackBerries, I was
wondering if there is an OpenPGP E-mail application that will run on a
"smart phone". Of course, to be effective, the application must be
beyond the control of the phone manufacturer and beyond the control of
the phone service. Further, it would have to have "open" source code so
that it can be inspected for backdoors.
--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
© 1997 by David E. Ross
Atlas
2010-08-21 23:44:07 UTC
David E. Ross wrote in alt.security.pgp on Thursday 19 August 2010 19:49 in
Post by David E. Ross
Now that several nations are pressuring Research in Motion (RIM) to
allow access to encrypted messages sent via BlackBerries, I was
wondering if there is an OpenPGP E-mail application that will run on a
"smart phone". Of course, to be effective, the application must be
beyond the control of the phone manufacturer and beyond the control of
the phone service. Further, it would have to have "open" source code so
that it can be inspected for backdoors.
Good question. I can see how there would be a market for one. The question
is, though:

* Does the RIM software ecosystem allow for the installation of 3rd party
apps, without approval of RIM? (I don't own a Blackberry, so I don't know
the answer to this.)

* Would the countries in question criminalize the importation and/or use
of such software?

I think the UAE would, I don't know about India.
Post by David E. Ross
--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.
bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
Ain't that the truth!

Atlas