deleting the true crypt partition
zebra26
2009-07-20 18:37:46 UTC
So, I download truecrypt to give it a go and see whats what.
I follow the directions to a tee, as outlined in the beginners guide
and, as hoped, I have a partion called M with a true crypt folder.
Things go in things go out and all works fine

except

Since I was following the beginners guide to a tee (almost) I created
a 10 meg partition instead of the illustrated 1 meg. Either way its
too small for any usefull purpose.

So to get rid of the folder My volume do I only need to do is delete
it like any other file ?

What about that partition called Drive M. How to I get rid of that so
that I can begin the process again but with a much larger partition?
John Wunderlich
2009-07-20 20:06:32 UTC
Post by zebra26
So, I download truecrypt to give it a go and see whats what.
I follow the directions to a tee, as outlined in the beginners guide
and, as hoped, I have a partion called M with a true crypt folder.
Things go in things go out and all works fine
except
Since I was following the beginners guide to a tee (almost) I created
a 10 meg partition instead of the illustrated 1 meg. Either way its
too small for any usefull purpose.
So to get rid of the folder My volume do I only need to do is delete
it like any other file ?
What about that partition called Drive M. How to I get rid of that so
that I can begin the process again but with a much larger partition?
Your use of the word "partition" is a bit confusing. I assume that you
have created a Truecrypt Containter File that mounts as Disk Volume M.
In that case,

1) Simply dismount the disk volume (Bring up Truecrypt, select the M
drive, and click "Dismount"). After that, you should no longer have a
M: drive.

2)Then, you can then simply drag the container file into the trash to
delete it.

HTH,
John
John Smith
2009-07-21 08:53:41 UTC
Post by zebra26
So, I download truecrypt to give it a go and see whats what.
I follow the directions to a tee, as outlined in the beginners guide
and, as hoped, I have a partion called M with a true crypt folder.
Things go in things go out and all works fine
except
Since I was following the beginners guide to a tee (almost) I created
a 10 meg partition instead of the illustrated 1 meg. Either way its
too small for any usefull purpose.
So to get rid of the folder My volume do I only need to do is delete
it like any other file ?
What about that partition called Drive M. How to I get rid of that so
that I can begin the process again but with a much larger partition?
For what it's worth, stick to pgp or the drive crypt products. Time
money and research has gone into both of them, you know what you're
getting with less bugs than the truecrypt.
zebra26
2009-07-21 14:13:46 UTC
Post by zebra26
So, I download truecrypt to give it a go and see whats what.
I follow the directions to a tee, as outlined in the beginners guide
and, as hoped, I have a partion called M with a true crypt folder.
Things go in things go out and all works fine
except
Since I was following the beginners guide to a tee (almost) I created
a 10 meg partition instead of the illustrated 1 meg. Either way its
too small for any usefull purpose.
So to get rid of the folder My volume do I only need to do is delete
it like any other file ?
What about that partition called Drive M. How to I get rid of that so
that I can begin the process again but with a much larger partition?
For what it's worth, stick topgpor the drive crypt products.  Time
money and research has gone into both of them, you know what you're
getting with less bugs than the truecrypt.- Hide quoted text -
Yes that is exactly my question. I want to get rid of the Drive M and
then delete "My Volume" and begin the process over again with a
reasonable drive "M" size

However

I am unaware of the other possible pgp or the drive crypt products
available for use on a Vista 64 or soon to be Windows 7 64 system.
What can you recommend ?
John Smith
2009-07-21 18:09:37 UTC
Post by zebra26
Post by zebra26
[...]
Both, with them you know more about the people and company behind the
product and they work for a living.
John Wunderlich
2009-07-21 15:26:23 UTC
Post by John Smith
Post by zebra26
[...]
I disagree. Truecrypt has been around for a long time and it is a
quite mature product. Its source code is out there for public review.
I've used it since its E4M days and never had a major issue with it.
If you need to move your container file from one machine to another
(e.g. USB Drive), Truecrypt has a traveller mode or you simply install
another free copy on another computer. Neither PGP (nor Drive Crypt to
my knowledge) supports container files in their free product.. so
moving data to another machine entails purchasing additional licenses.
Truecrypt is also supported by Linux, so I can move my container files
cross-platform or access them securely across a network.

FWIW: Even though I have a computer with a PGP license, I still prefer
to use Truecrypt for my encrypted containers.

-- John
Cujo
2009-07-21 18:35:09 UTC
Post by John Wunderlich
FWIW: Even though I have a computer with a PGP license, I still prefer
to use Truecrypt for my encrypted containers.
*exact* same here ...

f.
zebra26
2009-07-22 16:10:45 UTC
Post by Cujo
FWIW: Even though I have a computer with aPGPlicense, I still prefer
to useTruecryptfor my encrypted containers.
*exact* same here ...
f.
Well I am the novice here. I have tried the truecrypt with all manner
of files including streaming video and I must say I am impressed.
Ditto on reading the howtwo, one step at a time.
Now back to that registry tweak I decided to try out to speed up
browsing, I can feel the sweat all ready.

Thank you all for your input.
Otto Sykora
2009-08-03 20:44:26 UTC
Yes and similar project is the one freeOTFE which you can find on
sourceforge. It has the explorer coming with it unlikely the
truecrypt, where the explorer (for cases where you have no admin
rights) is kind of abadoned project

Cujo
2009-07-21 18:34:03 UTC
Post by John Smith
For what it's worth, stick to pgp or the drive crypt products. Time
money and research has gone into both of them, you know what you're
getting with less bugs than the truecrypt.
* OH MY GOD * ;(

TrueCrypt is an *excellent* product, please just bother to *read the
documentation*.

I completely disagree with your advice, I actually am a former PGP user
and switched to TrueCrypt for OTFE. There is *no* comparison.

The reasons are *huge*: open source, cross platform (mac, win, linux),
implements steganography, *VERY VERY* flexible ...

* READ THAT DOCUMENTATION * and actually TRY IT before giving such
advice, IMHO.

regards, f.