PGP--Curious
Casey
2009-03-11 20:30:34 UTC
Hi All,
Years back when I first got concerned with Encryption,
the PGP newsgroups were just full of posts--seeking info,
helping others, etc
What has happed? Are there fewer people using encryption
now?
tnx
Casey
s***@gmail.com
2009-03-12 11:22:47 UTC
Think people have forgotten that people read there stuff or!! with the
advent of microblogging nobody casres about private information nowadays
Post by Casey
Hi All,
Years back when I first got concerned with Encryption,
the PGP newsgroups were just full of posts--seeking info,
helping others, etc
What has happed? Are there fewer people using encryption
now?
tnx
Casey
- --

Simon Quantrill
Email: ***@gmail.com
Web: http://www.quantrill.eu/

Life is like a diaper -- short and loaded.
JTF
2009-03-12 13:04:28 UTC
There is a new generation of people and if you ask them what they
think about encryption, they will give you the deer in the headlights
look.

Not everything I do needs encryption. I have had conversations with
others using encryption, and that was by request.

Encryption only works if there are two participants.....Otherwise, my
portable drive is encrypted and will remain encrypted.
Ian Cummings
2009-03-12 17:39:07 UTC
In message
Post by JTF
Post by Casey
Years back when I first got concerned with Encryption,
the PGP newsgroups were just full of posts--seeking info,
helping others, etc
What has happed?  Are there fewer people using encryption
now?
Perhaps PGP/GPG has simply become much easier to use ? Compare, say,
Thunderbird/Enigmail with the command line shenanigans of yesteryear...

And just because it's quiet, doesn't mean there's nobody here :)
Post by JTF
There is a new generation of people and if you ask them what they
think about encryption, they will give you the deer in the headlights
look.
Not everything I do needs encryption. I have had conversations with
others using encryption, and that was by request.
Very little that I do needs encryption either. I find myself signing far
more than encrypting.
Post by JTF
Encryption only works if there are two participants.....
Encryption works just fine with only one participant. eg just me, or
just you...
Post by JTF
Otherwise, my
portable drive is encrypted and will remain encrypted.
If another participant comes into play, an unwelcome participant
perhaps, lets hope that your encryption does work :)

regards,
Ian
JTF
2009-03-13 13:36:08 UTC
I keep my portable drive TrueCrypt encrypted,

The average person doesn't know about the existence of encryption and
as new computer users come on the scene, unless the idea is taught to
them, there is no education on encryption.
Ian
h***@gawab.com
2009-03-17 21:40:02 UTC
Post by JTF
I keep my portable drive TrueCrypt encrypted,
The average person doesn't know about the existence of encryption and
as new computer users come on the scene, unless the idea is taught to
them, there is no education on encryption.
I've been using PGP since the early 1990's, but I've been using it
with ONLY ONE brave but reluctant soul. And the ONLY reason that
person will use encryption is because I've built a v2.6.3i system that
requires ONLY one USB stick and the ability to drag and drop a file.

Fact is that humans don't have either the courage or the brains for
encryption. How sad that is. :^(

I'm an American male who lives in a foreign country, an unbelievably
corrupt land where I need encryption just to do business with other
Americans. I cannot find anyone in the States with the mental ability
or the willingness to use encryption. What does that tell you about
the brain power of Americans?

Bob
JTF
2009-03-17 23:54:03 UTC
Post by h***@gawab.com
Post by JTF
[...]
I would use it all the time, but no one knows what encryption is or
how to use it if they had the program.

It is more about computer education than brains. People learn
Windows, Word and Email and are then proclaimed to "know computers".
Our education system doesn't teach anything further than basics.
People used to read up on this stuff and eventually understand it
enough to try to put stuff to practice....now they say "well, I don't
understand it" and that is that.
Bohemian Douchebag
2009-03-22 22:36:28 UTC
A big part of the problem is the stigma that comes with using
encryption. Even among many people who understand it, they
will just assume that you have something to hide. Especially
with the rise of social networking and sharing more and more
information about yourself with your friends and the world,
I can understand why people would be weary of encryption.
h***@gawab.com
2009-03-24 17:56:59 UTC
Post by JTF
Post by h***@gawab.com
Post by JTF
[...]
understand it" and that is that.- Hide quoted text -
Something to hide? You're damn right I have something to hide. I'm an
American living in an extremely corrupt nation and my ISP reads my
mail. I want to hide my goddam business communications. I want to hide
my personal communications, too. Do you disrespect me for that? How
many of those brain-dead non-PGP folks disrespect me for that?

I declare that I have a divine right to hide my communications with
others and I decalred that I have a right to hide them without being
criticized or being looked down on by those brainless fools who don't
have the intelligence required for encryption.

Anyone disagree?

Bob
Borax Man
2009-03-25 17:53:19 UTC
Post by JTF
Post by h***@gawab.com
Post by JTF
[...]
Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

I agree, people have a bad habit of accepting invasions of privacy and
data gathering of them. I agree, people have a right to keep their
privacy. This means more and more effert is needed by those who wish to
keep that right.
Charlie Kroeger
2009-03-25 14:44:09 UTC
Post by h***@gawab.com
I declare that I have a divine right to hide my communications
You're right God wants this for you.
Post by h***@gawab.com
Anyone disagree?
oh, by Jove no.
CK
JamesTracy95820
2009-03-23 04:29:32 UTC
Post by JTF
There is a new generation of people and if you ask them what they
think about encryption, they will give you the deer in the headlights
look.
Not everything I do needs encryption.  I have had conversations with
others using encryption, and that was by request.
Encryption only works if there are two participants.....Otherwise, my
portable drive is encrypted and will remain encrypted.
Deer in the headlights! I couldn't agree MORE!! This is exactly the
kind of response I get when talking with the general public about
PGP. I've been trying hard to get people to use it so that *I* can
use it. It's been like pulling teeth too. And it's been like that
for years too.
Frank Merlott
2009-03-12 15:02:41 UTC
Post by Casey
Hi All,
Years back when I first got concerned with Encryption,
the PGP newsgroups were just full of posts--seeking info,
helping others, etc
What has happed? Are there fewer people using encryption
now?
tnx
Casey
I think the fact that the US attempted to prosecute the creator of PGP
for posting it on Usenet and that initially it was illegal to
distribute PGP outside the US helped a lot to get people interested
about PGP.

http://www.philzimmermann.com/text/PRZ_case_dropped.txt

Of course the US Government was proved wrong with their bullshit that
criminals and terrorists would use PGP, well some do, but the benefits
far outstrip the disavantadges. Anyone proposing outlawing PGP now,
like the US Government did at the time, would be considered nuts.
Privacylover: http://www.privacylover.com
Casey
2009-03-13 00:05:27 UTC
This caused a nice little turnout he he.
I suspect all of you are correct. I don't
know a single person that runs encryption.
I occasionally send myself an encrypted email
just to see if my PGP and GnuPG still works--
and it always does.
Thamk you all,
Casey
JamesTracy95820
2009-03-23 04:43:54 UTC
Post by Casey
Hi,
This caused a nice little turnout he he.
I suspect all of you are correct.  I don't
know a single person that runs encryption.
I occasionally send myself an encrypted email
just to see if my PGP and GnuPG still works--
and it always does.
Thamk you all,
Casey
If you get bored with sending yourself PGP - SEND ME ONE!!

I'd be happy to exchange some talk, via a cipher.

I use PGP version 5.0 for windows and it would be interesting to see
if it's compatible with whatever you're using if it isn't 5.0.

Send away!

I'm at:

***@gmail.com

My key is on the MIT server.
JamesTracy95820
2009-03-23 11:57:39 UTC
Post by Casey
Hi,
This caused a nice little turnout he he.
I suspect all of you are correct.  I don't
know a single person that runs encryption.
I occasionally send myself an encrypted email
just to see if my PGP and GnuPG still works--
and it always does.
Thamk you all,
Casey
Looks like I can't put my email address out in the open - so here is
my web space:

http://www.JamesEdwardTracy.com

Send me a cipher! I'll reply in kind.

BTW: Do you happen to own a copy of PGP 5.0 for windows?

...jimbo
Neil W Rickert
2009-03-13 01:22:11 UTC
Post by Casey
Hi All,
Years back when I first got concerned with Encryption,
the PGP newsgroups were just full of posts--seeking info,
helping others, etc
What has happed? Are there fewer people using encryption
There are still people using encryption. I don't know whether the
use has increased or decreased.

There are probably less people using news groups, except perhaps
for the growth in trolls and spammers. A lot of online discussion
has moved to web forums.
JamesTracy95820
2009-03-23 04:47:50 UTC
I'm working on a project that requires almost DAILY use of PGP - so I
find it essential.

I think encryption is something that people need to be educated
about. I've found most people think, for instance, that email just
goes from A to B. When I tell them about a tee in the line, they look
like those deer in the headlights mentioned by another poster.
John Smith
2009-03-23 07:12:34 UTC
Post by JamesTracy95820
I'm working on a project that requires almost DAILY use of PGP - so I
find it essential.
I think encryption is something that people need to be educated
about. I've found most people think, for instance, that email just
goes from A to B. When I tell them about a tee in the line, they look
like those deer in the headlights mentioned by another poster.
The sad fact is that ppl and others think that if you use encryption
it's because you have something to hide. I suppose they're right, my
personal correspondence and documents, photo's, etc are my own business.

But don't tell anyone, they might think there's something to hide
because they can't read it like a postcard, regards
JamesTracy95820
JamesTracy95820
2009-03-23 11:12:40 UTC
Post by John Smith
Post by JamesTracy95820
I'm working on a project that requires almost DAILY use of PGP - so I
find it essential.
I think encryption is something that people need to be educated
about.  I've found most people think, for instance, that email just
goes from A to B.  When I tell them about a tee in the line, they look
like those deer in the headlights mentioned by another poster.
The sad fact is that ppl and others think that if you use encryption
it's because you have something to hide. I suppose they're right, my
personal correspondence and documents, photo's, etc are my own business.
But don't tell anyone, they might think there's something to hide
because they can't read it like a postcard, regards- Hide quoted text -
I’m fond of the analogy of a couple of suits showing up at your door
flashing badges. “Mind if we come in and open your mail and read
it”? “Oh, and by the way, we’re going to put a monitoring device on
your computer – you don’t mind, right”?

And yet – this is exactly what’s going on, electronically.

...jimbo
John Smith
lol
Frank Merlott
2009-03-24 10:23:51 UTC
Post by JamesTracy95820
Post by John Smith
Post by JamesTracy95820
[...]
But electronically the people showing at your door do not necessarily
need to hold badges, your ISP staff and anyone sniffing traffic on the
network can have access to your personal data.

Even if they do not abuse it they can still misplace it and make your
personal data available on the internet by accident for everyone to
see. This happened to some of Comcast subscribers recently.
--
Privacylover: http://www.privacylover.com