CafeAgent problems in internet cafe - help and opinion please
Jack
2004-05-01 12:23:02 UTC
Hello,

in local internet cafe CafeAgent management software is installed.
Default program option disables windows98 system function keys
like "ctrl alt del".
Computer hangs on quite often while writing mail.
There is no way to close hang on application, one has to reset
computer each time.
"ctrl alt del" key sequence is a nice option to see what application
are running on a computer.
Unfortunately, default option disables them.

If a bad guy operates internet cafe, he or she can run its own spyware
logg keyboard inputs like login, password, hiding it from a sight of a
client.

Another problem.
From time to time, operator is taking control of my computer, hiding
my opened applications and placing in front internet cafe logo and
login.
Such option doesn't close client's applications, programs, mail
program at all,
but makes them still opened and accessible to an operator.
That case comes in force each time when time expires, before a client
has closed his applications, mailbox and so on.

From time to time appears than a message by CafeAgent:

"The computer is temporarily in use by the operator"
just while I am writing this message.

I really don't like operators getting access to my computer while used
by me.
What can I do, what can be done with that software, especially to
handle
and keep minimal security standards.

Please test that software a nd tell me what's wrong and what can be
done to raise security level.

Disabling windows 98 function keys, CafeAgents ingerates into
Windows98
operation system without my consent.

And finally.
How to get rid of an operator using my computer while I read and write
my mail.

The caption:
"The computer is temporarily in use by the operator"
is stil open

I would appreciate opinion from security experts , internet cafe
operators and
others.

Author of CafeAgent says it is ok.
But in my opinion it is not ok, to have an operator using my computer
at the same time I read or write my mail.

Jack
Lars M. Hansen
2004-05-01 14:28:34 UTC
On 1 May 2004 05:23:02 -0700, Jack spoketh
Post by Jack
Please test that software a nd tell me what's wrong and what can be
done to raise security level.
Disabling windows 98 function keys, CafeAgents ingerates into
Windows98
operation system without my consent.
And finally.
How to get rid of an operator using my computer while I read and write
my mail.
"The computer is temporarily in use by the operator"
is stil open
I would appreciate opinion from security experts , internet cafe
operators and
others.
Author of CafeAgent says it is ok.
But in my opinion it is not ok, to have an operator using my computer
at the same time I read or write my mail.
Jack
Obviously, you have many objections to the software used at this
internet cafe (and rightfully so). Since it is unlikely that the cafe
owner are going to change, I suggest changing cafe...

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net
Jack
2004-05-01 18:50:40 UTC
Post by Jack
[...]
Thanks Lars,

you are right.
But in the meantime I have contacted author of the software and he
couldn't understand security issues behing his product.
Basic problem is, Cafeagent issues no warning message 5-10 min ahead
of expiration of prepaid user time.
So applications opened by a user (mail and the like) go hidden upon
expiration of prepaid user time.

I don't have any objection to that software, but don't like messages
Post by Lars M. Hansen
"The computer is temporarily in use by the operator"
being open all the time I read my mail.

Frankly speaking I don't see any reason why a third software should
take a control of windows 98 OS on client's computer .

thanks anyway,
Jack
Bart Bailey
2004-05-01 20:15:12 UTC
Post by Jack
Frankly speaking I don't see any reason why a third software should
take a control of windows 98 OS on client's computer .
Because that's what the software is designed to do,
and was probably installed by the party administering the computer,
not just someone leasing the use of it.

(anecdote)
Back when I first started playing around with the information
super-highway, myself and various friends would go to different
electronic equipment sales stores and use the Web-TV demo boxes to
access our newly created hotmail accounts and send messages to each
other, then hand the control box over to them so they could harvest it,
later we would go to the public libraries to do it, and it was fun for
the first few times, but as the pressing need to have more autonomy
became obvious, so did the inescapable conclusion that we needed our own
computers, in our own space.
...and the rest is history...
(/anecdote)

I can definitely identify with your sentiments of privacy intrusion, but
not your selfish attitude that someone should configure THEIR computer
according to your personal preferences.
Bart
Bart Bailey
2004-05-01 16:40:49 UTC
Post by Jack
And finally.
How to get rid of an operator using my computer
Whose computer?
Bart
Boyd Williston
2004-05-01 17:15:18 UTC
Post by Jack
Hello,
in local internet cafe CafeAgent management software is installed.
<snip>
Post by Jack
Author of CafeAgent says it is ok.
But in my opinion it is not ok, to have an operator using my computer
at the same time I read or write my mail.
Jack
Sounds like you have only two choices: live with it or go somewhere else.
You don't own the cafe. And whose computer is it -- i.e., who OWNS the
computer?

I would be irritated by the events you describe. But when using someone
else's equipment, you have to put up with their rules.
RosalieM
2004-05-02 15:33:34 UTC
Post by Jack
Hello,
in local internet cafe CafeAgent management software is installed. /.../
Jack
I saw a Cafe where machines are rebooted for each new client with a clean
os.
I think this should be the rule for internet cafees.
Leythos
2004-05-02 15:58:56 UTC
Post by RosalieM
Post by Jack
Hello,
in local internet cafe CafeAgent management software is installed. /.../
Jack
I saw a Cafe where machines are rebooted for each new client with a clean
os.
I think this should be the rule for internet cafees.
Yep, easy to do, you can roll a ghost image out to them in a matter of
minutes.
***@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)
nicolas vigier
2004-05-02 20:23:38 UTC
Post by RosalieM
Post by Jack
Hello,
in local internet cafe CafeAgent management software is installed. /.../
Jack
I saw a Cafe where machines are rebooted for each new client with a clean
os.
I think this should be the rule for internet cafees.
This should be the rule if they can't use a secure and multiuser OS.