OpenPGP and Usenet?
Justin
2008-07-22 04:05:11 UTC
So I tried a little experiment. I tried to post an encrypted message on
usenet and I get the following error in Thunderbird:
The message cannot be encrypted because there are newsgroup recipients.
Please re-send the message without encryption.
Is this a restriction on the server I'm using?
Justin
whoops... I forgot to mention I'm using Enigmail. Sorry.
Juergen Nieveler
2008-07-22 08:13:50 UTC
Post by Justin
Post by Justin
So I tried a little experiment. I tried to post an encrypted message
The message cannot be encrypted because there are newsgroup
recipients.
Please re-send the message without encryption.
Is this a restriction on the server I'm using?
whoops... I forgot to mention I'm using Enigmail. Sorry.
That's logical: Enigmail checks the recipients to determine the keys -
but you don't have the public key for a newsgroup on your keyring, so
you can't encrypt to it.

If you don't tell Enigmail who to encrypt to, it can't encrypt :-)

Juergen Nieveler
I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now
Justin
2008-07-22 11:31:08 UTC
Post by Juergen Nieveler
Post by Justin
Post by Justin
So I tried a little experiment. I tried to post an encrypted message
The message cannot be encrypted because there are newsgroup
recipients.
Please re-send the message without encryption.
Is this a restriction on the server I'm using?
whoops... I forgot to mention I'm using Enigmail. Sorry.
That's logical: Enigmail checks the recipients to determine the keys -
but you don't have the public key for a newsgroup on your keyring, so
you can't encrypt to it.
If you don't tell Enigmail who to encrypt to, it can't encrypt :-)
Juergen Nieveler
Ah ha... So I need somebody's public key to encrypt to.
How to I tell enigmail to encrypt using a specific key?
Juergen Nieveler
2008-07-22 14:20:03 UTC
Post by Justin
Post by Juergen Nieveler
If you don't tell Enigmail who to encrypt to, it can't encrypt :-)
Ah ha... So I need somebody's public key to encrypt to.
How to I tell enigmail to encrypt using a specific key?
You can't, at least not for a newsgroup.

As newsgroups are meant to be used for public messages, encrypting to
them obviously wasn't anticipated by the Enigmail developers - hence
the error message.

You can only use whatever GPG frontend you have installed (GPGShell for
example) to encrypt the text in the clipboard or current window).

Juergen Nieveler
SENILE.COM found . . . Out Of Memory . . .
Justin
2008-07-22 14:57:42 UTC
Post by Juergen Nieveler
Post by Justin
Post by Juergen Nieveler
If you don't tell Enigmail who to encrypt to, it can't encrypt :-)
Ah ha... So I need somebody's public key to encrypt to.
How to I tell enigmail to encrypt using a specific key?
You can't, at least not for a newsgroup.
As newsgroups are meant to be used for public messages, encrypting to
them obviously wasn't anticipated by the Enigmail developers - hence
the error message.
You can only use whatever GPG frontend you have installed (GPGShell for
example) to encrypt the text in the clipboard or current window).
Juergen Nieveler
Ah ha. I'm getting closer.
I installed Gnupg, and the installed GPGshell, but GPGshell is asking
for the location of gnupg.exe. I don't have gnupg.exe
Juergen Nieveler
2008-07-22 18:57:06 UTC
Post by Justin
Ah ha. I'm getting closer.
I installed Gnupg, and the installed GPGshell, but GPGshell is asking
for the location of gnupg.exe. I don't have gnupg.exe
But you should have gpg.exe - if you hadn't, Enigmail wouldn't work
either ;-)

Juergen Nieveler
When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.
Justin
2008-07-22 19:47:26 UTC
Post by Juergen Nieveler
Post by Justin
Ah ha. I'm getting closer.
I installed Gnupg, and the installed GPGshell, but GPGshell is asking
for the location of gnupg.exe. I don't have gnupg.exe
But you should have gpg.exe - if you hadn't, Enigmail wouldn't work
either ;-)
Juergen Nieveler
I'm still not following.
I think I'm encountering some Windows-isms.
Where do I tell GPGshell to find the correct file?
Neil W Rickert
2008-07-23 15:50:03 UTC
Post by Justin
Ah ha. I'm getting closer.
I installed Gnupg, and the installed GPGshell, but GPGshell is asking
for the location of gnupg.exe. I don't have gnupg.exe
Look under "C:\Program Files". There is probably a directory there
called "GnuPG", or at least one called "Gnu" or similar. You should
be able to find "gpg.exe" by going down that tree.

Hmm, I'm not a windows guy. But can't you open a Command Prompt
window, then do:

CD \
dir gpg.exe /s

and won't that search subdirectories to find it?
Justin
2008-07-23 17:42:44 UTC
Post by Neil W Rickert
Post by Justin
Ah ha. I'm getting closer.
I installed Gnupg, and the installed GPGshell, but GPGshell is asking
for the location of gnupg.exe. I don't have gnupg.exe
Look under "C:\Program Files". There is probably a directory there
called "GnuPG", or at least one called "Gnu" or similar. You should
be able to find "gpg.exe" by going down that tree.
Hmm, I'm not a windows guy. But can't you open a Command Prompt
CD \
dir gpg.exe /s
and won't that search subdirectories to find it?
I hate Windows... trust me I'm trying my best to get off it. I have a
Macbook and I'll eventually get a laptop and install FreeBSD> Int he
meantime all my financial stuff is WIndows based.

Yeah, I can hit gpg at the cmd.
Its there, I just don't have the .9 version.

Is there an easier way to just highlight a bunch of text, hit encrypt,
choose the public key to encrypt to, and paste that to a usenet message?
1PW
2008-07-23 18:52:34 UTC
Post by Justin
Post by Neil W Rickert
Post by Justin
[...]
Hello Justin:

Can you tell us exactly what you are ultimately trying to achieve?

You have found the comp.security.pgp.test group.

If you emailed yourself an encrypted message, then posted the encrypted body
to comp.security.pgp.test you might get what you're trying to achieve.

If you're trying to encrypt to someone other than yourself, why not encrypt
in ordinary email to them?

Best regards.
--
1PW

@?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]
Justin
2008-07-24 02:26:28 UTC
Post by 1PW
Post by Justin
Post by Neil W Rickert
Post by Justin
[...]
Basically I want to do what Normen Nescio did above on the 14th.
He posted a block of encrypted text, that when I clicked on his post
Enigmail triggered and asked for my passphrase - hhich of course wasn't
correct.
Had he used my public key, I would have been able to see what he posted.
Justin
2008-07-22 15:29:31 UTC
Post by Juergen Nieveler
Post by Justin
Post by Juergen Nieveler
If you don't tell Enigmail who to encrypt to, it can't encrypt :-)
Ah ha... So I need somebody's public key to encrypt to.
How to I tell enigmail to encrypt using a specific key?
You can't, at least not for a newsgroup.
As newsgroups are meant to be used for public messages, encrypting to
them obviously wasn't anticipated by the Enigmail developers - hence
the error message.
You can only use whatever GPG frontend you have installed (GPGShell for
example) to encrypt the text in the clipboard or current window).
Juergen Nieveler
OK... I'm getting closer.
I installed gpg4win
from http://www.gpg4win.org/download.html
and it says I need version 1.4.9, when I have 1.4.7. I can't find 1.4.9
for Windows...

Is there another interfact I can use? My othter problem is I use a
Macbook too, so I'll need cross platform ability...
David W. Hodgins
2008-07-22 18:39:41 UTC
Post by Justin
I installed gpg4win
from http://www.gpg4win.org/download.html
and it says I need version 1.4.9, when I have 1.4.7. I can't find 1.4.9
for Windows...
I havn't used gpg4win, but you can get version 1.4.9 of gnupg from
ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/binary/gnupg-w32cli-1.4.9.exe
Post by Justin
Is there another interfact I can use? My othter problem is I use a
Macbook too, so I'll need cross platform ability...
The Mac versions are available at
http://macgpg.sourceforge.net/

Regards, Dave Hodgins
Justin
2008-07-22 18:46:11 UTC
Post by David W. Hodgins
Post by Justin
I installed gpg4win
from http://www.gpg4win.org/download.html
and it says I need version 1.4.9, when I have 1.4.7. I can't find 1.4.9
for Windows...
I havn't used gpg4win, but you can get version 1.4.9 of gnupg from
ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/binary/gnupg-w32cli-1.4.9.exe
I already installed that, and I still get the error. the filename isn't
exact apparently.
Regards, Dave Hodgins
Juergen Nieveler
2008-07-23 06:52:33 UTC
Post by Justin
I already installed that, and I still get the error. the filename
isn't exact apparently.
Which file is there, then?

Is there a gpg.exe in the directory you installed GnuPG to?

Juergen Nieveler
Conclusion: the place where you got tired of thinking
Justin
2008-07-23 17:40:28 UTC
Post by Juergen Nieveler
Post by Justin
I already installed that, and I still get the error. the filename
isn't exact apparently.
Which file is there, then?
Is there a gpg.exe in the directory you installed GnuPG to?
Juergen Nieveler
I have one in C:\Program Files\GNU\GnuPG But I'm pretty sure its the .7
not the .9.
David W. Hodgins
2008-07-23 19:28:31 UTC
Post by Justin
I have one in C:\Program Files\GNU\GnuPG But I'm pretty sure its the .7
not the .9.
I just started up xp pro on a virtual machine. After installing gpg4win-1.1.3.exe
I opened a command prompt, and ran "gpg --version". It showed 1.4.7.

I then installed gnupg-w32cli-1.4.9.exe, and the command "gpg --version" now
shows 1.4.9.

If you do have 1.4.7 in the above directory, install gnupg-w32cli-1.4.9.exe,
and it will overwrite it.

I then ran gpa.exe, and it seems to be finding the program properly.

Try running gpa.exe.

Regards, Dave Hodgins