PGP/Gnupg legal in Albania
Gred Forge
2010-06-28 17:33:15 UTC
Is encryption software legal in Albania?
I don't believe it used to be.
What is the current (2010) situation?
Frank Merlott
2010-06-28 20:02:11 UTC
They will need to abide by European Union rules.
David E. Ross
2010-06-29 02:56:55 UTC
Post by Frank Merlott
Post by Gred Forge
Is encryption software legal in Albania?
I don't believe it used to be.
What is the current (2010) situation?
They will need to abide by European Union rules.
Is Albania in the European Union? Albania is not listed in Bert-Jaap
Koops's "Crypto Law Survey" at
<http://rechten.uvt.nl/koops/cryptolaw/index.htm>; but nations within
the European Union are separately listed, including France, Germany, the
UK, and Denmark.
--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation. © 1997
Juergen Nieveler
2010-06-29 18:00:13 UTC
Post by David E. Ross
Post by Frank Merlott
Post by Gred Forge
Is encryption software legal in Albania?
I don't believe it used to be.
What is the current (2010) situation?
They will need to abide by European Union rules.
Is Albania in the European Union?
Nope. It's member in the UN, NATO, CEFTA, European council etc. - but
it's not a EU member yet. They applied in 2009, though
Post by David E. Ross
Albania is not listed in Bert-Jaap
Koops's "Crypto Law Survey" at
<http://rechten.uvt.nl/koops/cryptolaw/index.htm>; but nations within
the European Union are separately listed, including France, Germany, the
UK, and Denmark.
That's dated 2008, the next update is supposed to be published next
month...
Juergen Nieveler
Gred Forge
2010-07-01 14:48:02 UTC
Thanks so much to those who clarified the situation.
As to be expected with government, it's pretty much a "wait and see".

Gred

Shamelessly stolen from, um, somebody:
bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation. © 1997
David E. Ross
2010-07-04 23:47:44 UTC
Post by Gred Forge
Thanks so much to those who clarified the situation.
As to be expected with government, it's pretty much a "wait and see".
Gred
bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation. © 1997
Stolen from me. Please respect my copyright.

Frank Merlott
2010-07-06 16:43:58 UTC
Post by David E. Ross
Post by Frank Merlott
Post by Gred Forge
Is encryption software legal in Albania?
I don't believe it used to be.
What is the current (2010) situation?
They will need to abide by European Union rules.
Is Albania in the European Union?
My mistake, they are currently not an EU member, but since they applied for
membership they will have to adjust their legislation to be compatible with
European Union laws.

Accession of Albania to the European Union:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accession_of_Albania_to_the_European_Union
Justin
2010-07-04 22:08:14 UTC
Post by Frank Merlott
Post by Gred Forge
Is encryption software legal in Albania?
I don't believe it used to be.
What is the current (2010) situation?
They will need to abide by European Union rules.
Fuck the EU.

Why do so many people have such a profound respect for the law?
The law is designed to keep stupid people from hurting themselves and
the poor in line.
The rest of us can do pretty much whatever we want; short of a capital
crime.
Juergen Nieveler
2010-07-05 19:10:50 UTC
Post by Justin
Why do so many people have such a profound respect for the law?
Because so many people have a profound desire not to have bones broken,
or being subjected to waterboarding (which of course isn't torture,
according to the US government)
Post by Justin
The rest of us can do pretty much whatever we want; short of a capital
crime.
See that black van on the next street corner? ;-)
Juergen Nieveler
David E. Ross
2010-07-05 19:40:49 UTC
Post by Frank Merlott
Post by Gred Forge
Is encryption software legal in Albania?
I don't believe it used to be.
What is the current (2010) situation?
They will need to abide by European Union rules.
F*** the EU.
Why do so many people have such a profound respect for the law?
The law is designed to keep stupid people from hurting themselves and
the poor in line.
The rest of us can do pretty much whatever we want; short of a capital
crime.
Another of my copyrighted quips:

The only reason we have so many laws is that not enough people will do
the right thing. (© 1997 by David Ross)

You seem to be advocating against doing the right thing, which will only
result in even more laws.
--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

GoogleGroups because of the amount of spam from that
source.
Justin
2010-07-04 22:07:05 UTC
Post by Gred Forge
Is encryption software legal in Albania?
I don't believe it used to be.
What is the current (2010) situation?
So what if it isn't?
Use it anyway.