error decrypting with public key from sender
UseNet
2008-09-24 23:05:58 UTC
We get the below error after we import the senders public key and attempt to
open

"it is not possible to decrypt this message because your keyring does not
contain any usable private key(s)
corresponding to any above public key(s)"

Any help for a pgp novice appreciated

CR
David E. Ross
2008-09-24 23:48:23 UTC
Post by UseNet
We get the below error after we import the senders public key and attempt to
open
"it is not possible to decrypt this message because your keyring does not
contain any usable private key(s)
corresponding to any above public key(s)"
Any help for a pgp novice appreciated
CR
You need to use your own private key for decryption. However, that only
works if the sender used YOUR public key to encrypt.

See my <http://www.rossde.com/PGP/pgp_encrypt.html#basic> for details.
--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Q: What's a President Bush cocktail?
A: Business on the rocks.
UseNet
2008-09-25 00:01:16 UTC
This is a client and this is the 1st time I had this problem. Usually we
send them our public key and all works well.
They sent us a public key but as I stated, it doesnt work. Should we ask
them to use our public key? We are not experts at this and they seem to
think they are- so we dont want to sound ignorant about PGP(which we
probably are);>
A: Business on the rocks.
David E. Ross
2008-09-25 17:29:08 UTC
Post by UseNet
This is a client and this is the 1st time I had this problem. Usually we
send them our public key and all works well.
They sent us a public key but as I stated, it doesnt work. Should we ask
them to use our public key? We are not experts at this and they seem to
think they are- so we dont want to sound ignorant about PGP(which we
probably are);>
The public key they sent you is for you to use to encrypt messages to
them, not for decrypted messages from them. They should use YOUR public
key to encrypt messages to you. Actually, both you and your customer
should use both public keys to encrypt, thus later allowing each of you
to view what was sent (not received).

I think both you and your customer really need to read the "Basic
Principles" section of my "Key Encryption" page, per the link I supplied
in my earlier reply. Both of you are confused.

A: Business on the rocks.
Roberto Franceschetti
2008-09-26 20:39:51 UTC
Post by David E. Ross
Post by UseNet
We get the below error after we import the senders public key and attempt to
open
"it is not possible to decrypt this message because your keyring does not
contain any usable private key(s)
corresponding to any above public key(s)"
Any help for a pgp novice appreciated
CR
You need to use your own private key for decryption. However, that only
works if the sender used YOUR public key to encrypt.
See my <http://www.rossde.com/PGP/pgp_encrypt.html#basic> for details.
--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>
Q: What's a President Bush cocktail?
A: Business on the rocks.
If you've done this in the past without problems, the most probable cause is
"operator error" by your client, especially if they're not familiar with PGP
clients. You'll want to make sure they are actually encrypting *to* your
public key, and not just to themselves or someone else.
--
Roberto Franceschetti
LogSat Software
http://www.logsat.com
Unruh
2008-09-26 21:06:24 UTC
Post by Roberto Franceschetti
Post by UseNet
This is a client and this is the 1st time I had this problem. Usually we
send them our public key and all works well.
They sent us a public key but as I stated, it doesnt work. Should we ask
them to use our public key? We are not experts at this and they seem to
think they are- so we dont want to sound ignorant about PGP(which we
probably are);>
Sounds like it. In any public key system like pgp, each side has a private
key and a public key. The private key is to be private. It is shared with
NOONE, and is known ONLY by the person whose it is. This absolutely vital.
The private key of each side is known ONLY by that side.
If A wants to send a message to B, B MUST have a publickey/private key
pair. B hides his private key but sends his public key to A. A enctypts the
message ( or raterh the symmetric cypher key to the message) with B's pulic
key.

What you have is that the other side did NOT encrypt with your public key.
You cannot therefore decrypt it. You MUST send them your public key and
they MUST use that to encrypt the message.
Post by UseNet
Post by David E. Ross
Post by UseNet
We get the below error after we import the senders public key and attempt to
open
"it is not possible to decrypt this message because your keyring does not
contain any usable private key(s)
corresponding to any above public key(s)"
The sender's public key is useless for decrypting any message they send to
you Their public key is only for encrypting messages you send to them.
Post by UseNet
Post by David E. Ross
Post by UseNet
Any help for a pgp novice appreciated
CR
You need to use your own private key for decryption. However, that only
works if the sender used YOUR public key to encrypt.
Precisely.
Speechless
2008-09-25 08:37:06 UTC
Post by UseNet
We get the below error after we import the senders public key and
attempt to open
A public key is used for encrypting messages _sent_ to the _owner_ of
that key.
Post by UseNet
"it is not possible to decrypt this message because your keyring does
not contain any usable private key(s)
corresponding to any above public key(s)"
You are getting this error because the message was encrypted using a
public key that belongs to someone other than you.

If the sender wants _you_ to read the message, they have to encrypt the
message using _your_ public key.
CR
Casey
2008-09-25 18:43:28 UTC
In article <rJzCk.1259$***@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com>, ***@obded.org
says...
Post by UseNet
We get the below error after we import the senders public key and attempt to
open
"it is not possible to decrypt this message because your keyring does not
contain any usable private key(s)
corresponding to any above public key(s)"
Any help for a pgp novice appreciated
CR
CR, this is a over simplification of how Public Key Encryption
works. When you create your "Key", you actually create two keys.
The software designates one key as the Public key (for encrypting)
and the second key as the Private key (for decrypting). These
keys are companions. If you encrypt a file with the your Public
key, your Private key is the only key in the world that can decrypt
that file.

If you want your friend to send you an encrypted email, the friend
must have your public key for encrypting. You are the only one
that has the companion private key for decrypting that message.

If you want to send your friend an encrypted email, you must
have your friends Public key for encrypting the message. Only
the friend has the Private key for decrypting.
Casey