Comparison of repairs of FDE with PBA?
Guest
2008-02-06 16:52:39 UTC
Glad to hear TrueCrypt 5 with FDE / PBA is finally out... Now that it is,
that got me to thinking... (Well, actually I was thinking before that, of
course...)

Does anybody have any comments / comparisons of the repair tools / ability
of the various full disk encrytpion packages that offer PBA?

SafeBoot, DCPP, BitLocker, PGPDisk, CompuSec, TrueCyprt 5 and whatever else.

What kind of tools are available when something goes wrong? To me, that's a
pretty big question.

Back in my DOS days, I've used SuperStor, Stacker & DriveSpace disk
compression. Plus I've used the ez-bios loaders to get around disk size
limitations. So I know first hand about needing to repair a damaged system
and having trouble getting to the data. (Although in all fairness, I rarely
had problems with the software itself. It was nearly always OS related.)

What if you need to load up BartPE or VistaPE or Knoppix or whatever to
repair the disk or just get some data off so you can reformat and reinstall?
Do any of these come with plugins for a stand alone bootable cd?

Do any of these come with any utilities that can repair a damaged encrypted
disk?

Do any of these offer the ability to install XP or Vista onto an already
encrypted disk? So you don't have to reformat, install, and then encrypt,
resulting in lost data if your backups aren't current? (I would think that
a good way to handle that would be just like loading a RAID driver. Without
it you can't properly see the disk. With it you can.)

I remember long ago talk about what TC or PGP 'should' do was put their disk
PBA stuff onto a bootable linux distro, and force you to install it from
there. The idea being that way you must have a bootable cd with repair
utils etc.

Obviously they didn't go that route, but I am curious about the various
support & repair abilities of the various disk encryption products.

And since I haven't actually used (only played with CompuSec, will try TC5
later), I figured I'd ask around.
Carsten Krueger
2008-02-06 18:35:12 UTC
Post by Guest
Does anybody have any comments / comparisons of the repair tools / ability
of the various full disk encrytpion packages that offer PBA?
Assume that there is no way to recover. If things go bad all data is lost.
Truecrypt has a good "recovery" cd (repair broken mbr, repair first block
of container, decrypt hdd)
Post by Guest
What if you need to load up BartPE or VistaPE or Knoppix or whatever to
repair the disk or just get some data off so you can reformat and reinstall?
It should work with BartPE, but according to my test it didn't.
Can't mount the system partition.
Post by Guest
Do any of these offer the ability to install XP or Vista onto an already
encrypted disk?
No

greetings
Carsten

fup2 alt.security.scramdisk
--
ID = 0x2BFBF5D8 FP = 53CA 1609 B00A D2DB A066 314C 6493 69AB 2BFB F5D8
http://www.realname-diskussion.info - Realnames sind keine Pflicht