Max size of a PGP Encrypted File
unknown
2012-10-22 23:20:12 UTC
I'd like to know how large a data file can be encrypted with PGP
Conventional Encryption w/o using a key?

Google did me no good on this.
unknown
2012-10-22 23:20:52 UTC
I should have added I'm using ver. 6.58
David E. Ross
2012-10-22 23:39:14 UTC
Post by unknown
Post by unknown
I'd like to know how large a data file can be encrypted with PGP
Conventional Encryption w/o using a key?
Google did me no good on this.
I should have added I'm using ver. 6.58
I'm not sure about "conventional" encryption or v.6.58. The limitations
might be the amount of available hard drive and your patience.

I use v.8.0.3 to encrypt 7.5 GB backup files using my public PGP key.
My encrypting of these files requires a large amount of memory swaping.
It can take 20 minutes. I have to set my cache expiration to 25
minutes; otherwise, my entry of my pass-phrase will expire before PGP is
done, causing the encryption to fail.
--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation.
© 1997 by David E. Ross
unknown
2012-10-23 07:46:06 UTC
On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 16:39:14 -0700, "David E. Ross"
Post by David E. Ross
Post by unknown
Post by unknown
I'd like to know how large a data file can be encrypted with PGP
Conventional Encryption w/o using a key?
Google did me no good on this.
I should have added I'm using ver. 6.58
I'm not sure about "conventional" encryption or v.6.58. The limitations
might be the amount of available hard drive and your patience.
I use v.8.0.3 to encrypt 7.5 GB backup files using my public PGP key.
My encrypting of these files requires a large amount of memory swaping.
It can take 20 minutes. I have to set my cache expiration to 25
minutes; otherwise, my entry of my pass-phrase will expire before PGP is
done, causing the encryption to fail.
I kind of did a little experimenting of my own with about a 1/2 GB of
files. I think it's easier just to keep a backup of an encrypted
drive than sit around waiting for PGP to encrypt that large a file or
separate files that amount to that size. I was thinking of doing it
to write files to a DL DVD as backup.

thanks for answering.
??
2013-01-03 16:00:59 UTC
Post by unknown
I'd like to know how large a data file can be encrypted with PGP
Conventional Encryption w/o using a key?
Google did me no good on this.
Instead of a lengthy encryption/decryption time, why don't you place
your files on a virtual volume made with TrueCrypt. Once the volume
is made, access to the file(s) is almost immediate.

"The maximum possible TrueCrypt volume size is 263 bytes
(8,589,934,592 GB). However, due to security reasons (with respect to
the 128-bit block size used by the encryption algorithms), the maximum
allowed volume size is 1 PB (1,048,576 GB)."

It is a heck of a lot easier using this method to store files than
encrypting each one of them.
unruh
2013-01-03 17:51:04 UTC
Post by ??
Post by unknown
I'd like to know how large a data file can be encrypted with PGP
Conventional Encryption w/o using a key?
Google did me no good on this.
Instead of a lengthy encryption/decryption time, why don't you place
your files on a virtual volume made with TrueCrypt. Once the volume
is made, access to the file(s) is almost immediate.
"The maximum possible TrueCrypt volume size is 263 bytes
(8,589,934,592 GB). However, due to security reasons (with respect to
the 128-bit block size used by the encryption algorithms), the maximum
allowed volume size is 1 PB (1,048,576 GB)."
It is a heck of a lot easier using this method to store files than
encrypting each one of them.
Since truecrypt encrypts each one of them, it is not clear what the
difference is, except perhaps with ease of use. If it takes an hour to
encrypt a file, I have no idea why it would make any difference which
program you used (other than perhaps that the encryption routines are
different and have different speeds, but that is a function of the
routines not of whether you encrypt them indivicually or together. )