Adding new cryptosystems to PGP
Benjamin Esham
2010-08-24 22:25:58 UTC
Hello all,

I recently read [1][2] that the McEliece cryptosystem [3] is resistant to
currently-known attacks using quantum algorithms. This got me thinking...
is it technologically possible to add a new protocol to PGP/GPG? I assume
so, since the current spec supports DSA, RSA, and ElGamal, which all operate
differently and are based different mathematical problems. In that case,
who decides when and how new cryptosystems are to be added to the standard?
Are there any currently being considered? Just curious.

[1] http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/1008/1008.2390v1.pdf

[2] http://science.slashdot.org/story/10/08/18/1958226/1978-Cryptosystem-Resists-Quantum-Attack

[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McEliece_cryptosystem

Cheers,
- --
Benjamin D. Esham | ***@gmail.com
“Anyone entrusted with power will abuse it if not also animated
with the love of truth and virtue, no matter whether he be a
prince, or one of the people.” — Jean de La Fontaine
beebs
2010-09-28 19:59:28 UTC
Hello all,
I recently read that the McEliece cryptosystem is resistant to
currently-known attacks using quantum algorithms.  This got me thinking...
is it technologically possible to add a new protocol to PGP/GPG?  I assume
so, since the current spec supports DSA, RSA, and ElGamal, which all operate
differently and are based different mathematical problems.  In that case,
who decides when and how new cryptosystems are to be added to the standard?
Are there any currently being considered?  Just curious.
Cheers,
- --
Hello. You sound like a budding cryptographer. What's stopping you
from developing McEliece to PGP?

beebs