How could Interpol decrypt files in FARC computers??
"[Anon] Anon User" >
2009-02-13 05:52:09 UTC
In <gn2l17$5qn$***@news.motzarella.org> 1PW <***@nby.pbz>
wrote:
>On 02/12/2009 05:38 PM, 1PW sent:
>> On 02/12/2009 05:32 PM, Ramon F Herrera sent:
>>> Background info:
>>>
>>> The Colombian government discovered a hide-out of the FARC
guerrilla.
>>> There were tons of evidence, incriminating for example the
Chavez
>>> regime which is a supporter of the leftist terrorist
organization.

>>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/15/AR2008051504153_pf.html

>>> The question, however, is not about politics but about technical
issues.

>>> Is has been claimed through the media that Interpol helped
with the
>>> computers, and they were able to "decrypt" hundreds of files.
The
>>> first time I heard this, I thought that perhaps the FARC leaders
were
>>> using some weak encryption such as the one in ZIP files. How
could
>>> Interpol crack something like PGP?
>>
>> Most believe that Interpol /didn't/ crack PGP.
>>
>>> Your comments are most welcome.
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>>
>>> -Ramon
>>
>> In the U.K. you may be compelled, by their laws, to give up
your
>> passphrase/secret key ring. This too is very Googlable.
>>
>> Pete
>
><http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/ukpga_20000023_en_8#pt3-pb1-l1g51>

The
solution there is when taking a trip to the UK, take time make a
new keypair and then separate the pubic and secret keyrings and
leave the private keys at home locked in a safe buried somewhere
(or whatever security works for you). Then while in UK, anything
you don't what authorities to see, encrypt them to the public key
that has no private key. Then you can honestly say "I don't HAVE
a secret key for that file." and let them start working p=np
Frank Merlott
2009-02-14 03:27:23 UTC
It happens that [Anon] Anon User formulated :
> In <gn2l17$5qn$***@news.motzarella.org> 1PW <***@nby.pbz>
> wrote:
>> On 02/12/2009 05:38 PM, 1PW sent:
>>> On 02/12/2009 05:32 PM, Ramon F Herrera sent:

>>> Most believe that Interpol /didn't/ crack PGP.

>>> In the U.K. you may be compelled, by their laws, to give up your
>>> passphrase/secret key ring. This too is very Googlable.
>>>
>>> Pete
>>
>> <http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/ukpga_20000023_en_8#pt3-pb1-l1g51>
>
> The
> solution there is when taking a trip to the UK, take time make a
> new keypair and then separate the pubic and secret keyrings and
> leave the private keys at home locked in a safe buried somewhere
> (or whatever security works for you). Then while in UK, anything
> you don't what authorities to see, encrypt them to the public key
> that has no private key. Then you can honestly say "I don't HAVE
> a secret key for that file." and let them start working p=np

You can have a hidden operating system using the latest Truecrypt and
in Drivecrypt Plus Pack as well, if travelling to the UK give to the
authorities your password for the non hidden OS.

Privacylover: http://www.privacylover.com
JTF
2009-02-14 17:40:59 UTC

Which goes back to Plausible Deniability.
John Smith
2009-03-17 22:28:38 UTC
Frank Merlott wrote:
> It happens that [Anon] Anon User formulated :
>> In <gn2l17$5qn$***@news.motzarella.org> 1PW <***@nby.pbz>
>> wrote:
>>> On 02/12/2009 05:38 PM, 1PW sent:

>>> <http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/ukpga_20000023_en_8#pt3-pb1-l1g51>
>>
>> The solution there is when taking a trip to the UK, take time make a
>> new keypair and then separate the pubic and secret keyrings and leave
>> the private keys at home locked in a safe buried somewhere (or
>> whatever security works for you). Then while in UK, anything you
>> don't what authorities to see, encrypt them to the public key that has
>> no private key. Then you can honestly say "I don't HAVE a secret key
>> for that file." and let them start working p=np
>
> You can have a hidden operating system using the latest Truecrypt and in
> Drivecrypt Plus Pack as well, if travelling to the UK give to the
> authorities your password for the non hidden OS.

I think drive crypt lets you place one container within another as well?