PGP 6.5.8 no longer works for me
t***@noplace.com
2008-08-11 20:39:00 UTC
I've used PGP 6.5.8 for quite a few years with my different machines.
But lately, I've been having problems with it. More than half the
time it will not work when trying to sign with my key or even in
trying to merely encrypt some text or other.

I've uninstalled it and went through my registry removing all mention
of PGP. I then again installed and still have the same problem with
it being unreliable. I've done the uninstall and registry clean at
least four times. No luck.

I'm running Windows XP Pro which has the latest service pack 3 update.
I'm wondering if some Windows update has created a situation in which
PGP 6.5.8 will no longer work on my machine.

Is there some other freebie copy available somewhere? (I should
mention that I have two separate past downloads of PGP from different
sites. I have the same problem with each one of them.)
1PW
2008-08-11 20:53:40 UTC
On 08/11/2008 01:39 PM, ***@noplace.com sent:
> I've used PGP 6.5.8 for quite a few years with my different machines.
> But lately, I've been having problems with it. More than half the
> time it will not work when trying to sign with my key or even in
> trying to merely encrypt some text or other.
>
> I've uninstalled it and went through my registry removing all mention
> of PGP. I then again installed and still have the same problem with
> it being unreliable. I've done the uninstall and registry clean at
> least four times. No luck.
>
> I'm running Windows XP Pro which has the latest service pack 3 update.
> I'm wondering if some Windows update has created a situation in which
> PGP 6.5.8 will no longer work on my machine.
>
> Is there some other freebie copy available somewhere? (I should
> mention that I have two separate past downloads of PGP from different
> sites. I have the same problem with each one of them.)

Hello:

You may wish to look at GnuPG (GPG).

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Privacy_Guard>

Good luck to you.

--
1PW

@?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]
t***@noplace.com
2008-08-11 22:02:46 UTC
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 13:53:40 -0700, 1PW <***@nby.pbz>
wrote:

>On 08/11/2008 01:39 PM, ***@noplace.com sent:
>> I've used PGP 6.5.8 for quite a few years with my different machines.
>> But lately, I've been having problems with it. More than half the
>> time it will not work when trying to sign with my key or even in
>> trying to merely encrypt some text or other.
>>
>> I've uninstalled it and went through my registry removing all mention
>> of PGP. I then again installed and still have the same problem with
>> it being unreliable. I've done the uninstall and registry clean at
>> least four times. No luck.
>>
>> I'm running Windows XP Pro which has the latest service pack 3 update.
>> I'm wondering if some Windows update has created a situation in which
>> PGP 6.5.8 will no longer work on my machine.
>>
>> Is there some other freebie copy available somewhere? (I should
>> mention that I have two separate past downloads of PGP from different
>> sites. I have the same problem with each one of them.)
>
>Hello:
>
>You may wish to look at GnuPG (GPG).
>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Privacy_Guard>
>
>Good luck to you.

That's a choice. I had completely forgotten about the GNU choice
since 6.5.8 had worked for so many years without a problem.

Thanks!
t***@noplace.com
2008-08-12 01:26:21 UTC
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 17:02:46 -0500, ***@noplace.com wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 13:53:40 -0700, 1PW <***@nby.pbz>
>wrote:
>
>>On 08/11/2008 01:39 PM, ***@noplace.com sent:
>>> I've used PGP 6.5.8 for quite a few years with my different machines.
>>> But lately, I've been having problems with it. More than half the
>>> time it will not work when trying to sign with my key or even in
>>> trying to merely encrypt some text or other.
>>>
>>> I've uninstalled it and went through my registry removing all mention
>>> of PGP. I then again installed and still have the same problem with
>>> it being unreliable. I've done the uninstall and registry clean at
>>> least four times. No luck.
>>>
>>> I'm running Windows XP Pro which has the latest service pack 3 update.
>>> I'm wondering if some Windows update has created a situation in which
>>> PGP 6.5.8 will no longer work on my machine.
>>>
>>> Is there some other freebie copy available somewhere? (I should
>>> mention that I have two separate past downloads of PGP from different
>>> sites. I have the same problem with each one of them.)
>>
>>Hello:
>>
>>You may wish to look at GnuPG (GPG).
>>
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Privacy_Guard>
>>
>>Good luck to you.
>
>That's a choice. I had completely forgotten about the GNU choice
>since 6.5.8 had worked for so many years without a problem.
>
>Thanks!

I could only find GNU PGP in the Command Line version. Really don't
care to revert to DOS. :0)

I downloaded another version of 6.5.8 -
PGP 6.5.8ckt - Build09 Beta 3. I'm having the same problem. I'm
getting more and more sure that these earlier version simply won't
work with my Windows XP service pack 3 - unless someone else is
running this version of PGP with the same Windows version as I have.

I hate the idea of having to pop for a paid version ($150) of PGP.

I do know one thing. I won't go full disk PGP. I've read to many
horror stories about that. As for protecting what is on my disks,
BestCrypt does that in a bullet proof fashion. Through the years I've
had crashes - bad ones, and BestCrypt kept chugging on. That's more
than I can say for other programs of this type I've tried.

Oh, well, I'll just have to keep hunting for some later freebie
version that will work with XP Service Pack 3.

Thanks for trying to help.
1PW
2008-08-12 01:41:12 UTC
On 08/11/2008 06:26 PM, ***@noplace.com sent:
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 17:02:46 -0500, ***@noplace.com wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 13:53:40 -0700, 1PW <***@nby.pbz>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On 08/11/2008 01:39 PM, ***@noplace.com sent:

>>> Hello:
>>>
>>> You may wish to look at GnuPG (GPG).
>>>
>>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Privacy_Guard>
>>>
>>> Good luck to you.
>> That's a choice. I had completely forgotten about the GNU choice
>> since 6.5.8 had worked for so many years without a problem.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> I could only find GNU PGP in the Command Line version. Really don't
> care to revert to DOS. :0)
>
> I downloaded another version of 6.5.8 -
> PGP 6.5.8ckt - Build09 Beta 3. I'm having the same problem. I'm
> getting more and more sure that these earlier version simply won't
> work with my Windows XP service pack 3 - unless someone else is
> running this version of PGP with the same Windows version as I have.
>
> I hate the idea of having to pop for a paid version ($150) of PGP.
>
> I do know one thing. I won't go full disk PGP. I've read to many
> horror stories about that. As for protecting what is on my disks,
> BestCrypt does that in a bullet proof fashion. Through the years I've
> had crashes - bad ones, and BestCrypt kept chugging on. That's more
> than I can say for other programs of this type I've tried.
>
> Oh, well, I'll just have to keep hunting for some later freebie
> version that will work with XP Service Pack 3.
>
> Thanks for trying to help.

While GnuPG is the core software, you have several GUIs to also make
things easier for you. I can't attest to their popularity as I use
GPG with Linux. That might be your que to start another post here?

--
1PW

@?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]
t***@noplace.com
2008-08-12 02:52:02 UTC
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 18:41:12 -0700, 1PW <***@nby.pbz>
wrote:

snipped

>While GnuPG is the core software, you have several GUIs to also make
>things easier for you. I can't attest to their popularity as I use
>GPG with Linux. That might be your que to start another post here?

I think I'm going try Neil's idea and sign up for the latest version.
The limited freebie version of it is all that I need.

Thanks.
Guy
2008-08-13 04:12:51 UTC
td wrote:

> PGP 6.5.8ckt - Build09 Beta 3. I'm having the same problem. I'm
> getting more and more sure that these earlier version simply won't
> work with my Windows XP service pack 3 - unless someone else is
> running this version of PGP with the same Windows version as I have.

Above version functions correctly on same here... XP Pro SP3.

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 23:12:51 -0500, Guy
<Use-Reply-To-Address-Header@[127.1]> wrote:

>td wrote:
>
>> PGP 6.5.8ckt - Build09 Beta 3. I'm having the same problem. I'm
>> getting more and more sure that these earlier version simply won't
>> work with my Windows XP service pack 3 - unless someone else is
>> running this version of PGP with the same Windows version as I have.
>>

>Above version functions correctly on same here... XP Pro SP3.

Well, whatever it was that was wrong on my machine is now past
history. The newer version is working fine.

Thanks for answering.
t***@noplace.com
2008-08-12 01:16:09 UTC

Thanks for trying to help.
Neil W Rickert
2008-08-12 01:37:00 UTC
***@noplace.com writes:

>I hate the idea of having to pop for a paid version ($150) of PGP.

As far as I know, you can sign up for a free trial. If you decide
not to pay up at the end of the trial period, it reverts into
a freeware version (no encrypted disks, and not to be used for
commercial purposes).

I haven't personally tried that, as I'm happy with GnuPG and I
actually prefer command line.
t***@noplace.com
2008-08-12 02:50:02 UTC
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 01:37:00 GMT, Neil W Rickert
<rickert+***@cs.niu.edu> wrote:

>***@noplace.com writes:
>
>>I hate the idea of having to pop for a paid version ($150) of PGP.
>
>As far as I know, you can sign up for a free trial. If you decide
>not to pay up at the end of the trial period, it reverts into
>a freeware version (no encrypted disks, and not to be used for
>commercial purposes).

Now that sounds good. If their latest doesn't work on my machine, I
have a real problem that has nothing to do with PGP.

Thanks.
David W. Hodgins
2008-08-12 06:06:03 UTC
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 22:50:02 -0400, <***@noplace.com> wrote:

> Now that sounds good. If their latest doesn't work on my machine, I
> have a real problem that has nothing to do with PGP.

I'm getting the impression, that the problem you're experiencing is most
likely caused by a corrupt keyring file. Try exporting all of the keys,
including the private keys, and then, after moving the existing files,
import them. Hopefully the problem will not be with one of your private
keys.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

t***@noplace.com
2008-08-12 23:59:58 UTC
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 02:06:03 -0400, "David W. Hodgins"
<***@nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 22:50:02 -0400, <***@noplace.com> wrote:
>
>> Now that sounds good. If their latest doesn't work on my machine, I
>> have a real problem that has nothing to do with PGP.
>
>I'm getting the impression, that the problem you're experiencing is most
>likely caused by a corrupt keyring file. Try exporting all of the keys,
>including the private keys, and then, after moving the existing files,
>import them. Hopefully the problem will not be with one of your private
>keys.
>
>Regards, Dave Hodgins

You might be right. When I installed the new 9.8 version, it could
not find my skr key. I had to fashion a new one. Then everything was
fine.

Since I don't have any big important stuff that was PGP protected, I
really don't care. As I said, all the private and business stuff is
on BestCrypt drives. The people I exchange PGP messages with have
other ways of determining that my new key is truly from me. So, no
big loss.

Thanks again.
Casey
2008-08-12 23:10:13 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, ***@noplace.com
says...
> I've used PGP 6.5.8 for quite a few years with my different machines.
> But lately, I've been having problems with it. More than half the
> time it will not work when trying to sign with my key or even in
> trying to merely encrypt some text or other.
>
> I've uninstalled it and went through my registry removing all mention
> of PGP. I then again installed and still have the same problem with
> it being unreliable. I've done the uninstall and registry clean at
> least four times. No luck.
>
> I'm running Windows XP Pro which has the latest service pack 3 update.
> I'm wondering if some Windows update has created a situation in which
> PGP 6.5.8 will no longer work on my machine.
>
> Is there some other freebie copy available somewhere? (I should
> mention that I have two separate past downloads of PGP from different
> sites. I have the same problem with each one of them.)

I am surprised that PGP 658 worked on XP.
You might want to try PGP 8.1. It works on everything from
Win98 up to XP.
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/PL2005SECURITY.php
(scroll way, way down to the bottom)
Casey
Who Ville
2008-08-16 09:50:19 UTC
Very useful information for I to don't care for Open PGP for windows.
I also can careless for a PGP desktop for I just use it for e-mail.

t***@noplace.com
2008-08-18 16:46:23 UTC
On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 05:50:19 -0400, Who Ville <***@whoatwhere.com>
wrote:

>Very useful information for I to don't care for Open PGP for windows.
>I also can careless for a PGP desktop for I just use it for e-mail.

Then the newer 9.8 freebie is for you. The "crippled" freebie version
encrypts and signs with no problem. That's all I care about, too.
Otto Sykora
2008-08-25 17:18:35 UTC
I am running 658 on number of machines, different languages, XP sp2
and sp3, but have not one instance it will not work. All perfect
Borked Pseudo Mailed
2008-08-15 06:47:25 UTC
***@noplace.com wrote in alt.security.pgp on August 11, 2008 18:02 in
> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 13:53:40 -0700, 1PW <***@nby.pbz>
> wrote:
>
>>On 08/11/2008 01:39 PM, ***@noplace.com sent:
>>> I've used PGP 6.5.8 for quite a few years with my different
>>> machines.
>>> But lately, I've been having problems with it. More than half the
>>> time it will not work when trying to sign with my key or even in
>>> trying to merely encrypt some text or other.
>>>
>>> I've uninstalled it and went through my registry removing all
>>> mention
>>> of PGP. I then again installed and still have the same problem with
>>> it being unreliable. I've done the uninstall and registry clean at
>>> least four times. No luck.
>>>
>>> I'm running Windows XP Pro which has the latest service pack 3
>>> update. I'm wondering if some Windows update has created a situation
>>> in which PGP 6.5.8 will no longer work on my machine.
>>>
>>> Is there some other freebie copy available somewhere? (I should
>>> mention that I have two separate past downloads of PGP from
>>> different
>>> sites. I have the same problem with each one of them.)
>>
>>Hello:
>>
>>You may wish to look at GnuPG (GPG).
>>
>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Privacy_Guard>
>>
>>Good luck to you.
>
> That's a choice. I had completely forgotten about the GNU choice
> since 6.5.8 had worked for so many years without a problem.
>
> Thanks!

In particular, you might want to have a look at GPG for Windows:

http://www.gpg4win.org/
t***@noplace.com
2008-08-15 23:31:42 UTC
On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 00:47:25 -0600 (MDT), Borked Pseudo Mailed
<***@pseudo.borked.net> wrote:

>***@noplace.com wrote in alt.security.pgp on August 11, 2008 18:02 in
>> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 13:53:40 -0700, 1PW <***@nby.pbz>
>> wrot
:
snipped

>>>You may wish to look at GnuPG (GPG).
>>>
>>> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Privacy_Guard>
>>>
>>>Good luck to you.
>>
>> That's a choice. I had completely forgotten about the GNU choice
>> since 6.5.8 had worked for so many years without a problem.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
>In particular, you might want to have a look at GPG for Windows:
>
>http://www.gpg4win.org/

I'm now using the crippled freebie version 9.8. It's all I need. I did
bookmark the site you gave for future reference.

Thanks.