Revoking an old key, should I and how?
wanna_use_pgp_again
2009-09-13 19:11:20 UTC
So I seem to have GPG working all right here, thanks to all who've
helped. But I do have some old keys up on servers.

One key is from the previous century and is expired. Another key is
only slightly less old and is still operational.

Should I try to revoke both of those keys so that people won't use
them? Or is that unlikely to be useful?

And in WinPT I got a revocation file (*rev.asc) generated and I am not
sure how to get this to work. The old keys were generated using PGP
2.x and PGP PGPfreeware 6.5.8, but the certificate I just generated
for the oldest one is generated by GnuPG v1.4.10. Will that work?

And do I just submit the contents of the *rev.asc file as if I were
submitting a public key in one of the Web pages where you can search
for and submit public keys? And that file I generated says, "A
revocation certificate should follow," do I do something to post that
certificate or will the keyserver send something to my E-mail address?

Of all the things I've done, I've never revoked a key before.
J.T.F.
2009-09-14 15:54:17 UTC
On Sep 13, 3:11 pm, wanna_use_pgp_again
<***@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> So I seem to have GPG working all right here, thanks to all who've
> helped. But I do have some old keys up on servers.
>
> One key is from the previous century and is expired. Another key is
> only slightly less old and is still operational.
>
> Should I try to revoke both of those keys so that people won't use
> them? Or is that unlikely to be useful?
>
> And in WinPT I got a revocation file (*rev.asc) generated and I am not
> sure how to get this to work. The old keys were generated using PGP
> 2.x and PGP PGPfreeware 6.5.8, but the certificate I just generated
> for the oldest one is generated by GnuPG v1.4.10. Will that work?
>
> And do I just submit the contents of the *rev.asc file as if I were
> submitting a public key in one of the Web pages where you can search
> for and submit public keys? And that file I generated says, "A
> revocation certificate should follow," do I do something to post that
> certificate or will the keyserver send something to my E-mail address?
>
> Of all the things I've done, I've never revoked a key before.

I wouldn't worry about expired keys, you CAN revoke the expired ones
if you wish, but it isn't necessary.

To revoke a key, just import the revocation key and then sync with the
servers....
noauth
2009-09-19 15:14:32 UTC
In article <6630a9dd-63c3-42d9-838d-***@d34g2000vbm.googlegroups.com>
"J.T.F." <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sep 13, 3:11 pm, wanna_use_pgp_again
> <***@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> > So I seem to have GPG working all right here, thanks to all who've
> > helped. But I do have some old keys up on servers.
> >
> > One key is from the previous century and is expired. Another key is
> > only slightly less old and is still operational.
> >
> > Should I try to revoke both of those keys so that people won't use
> > them? Or is that unlikely to be useful?
> >
> > And in WinPT I got a revocation file (*rev.asc) generated and I am not
> > sure how to get this to work. The old keys were generated using PGP
> > 2.x and PGP PGPfreeware 6.5.8, but the certificate I just generated
> > for the oldest one is generated by GnuPG v1.4.10. Will that work?
> >
> > And do I just submit the contents of the *rev.asc file as if I were
> > submitting a public key in one of the Web pages where you can search
> > for and submit public keys? And that file I generated says, "A
> > revocation certificate should follow," do I do something to post that
> > certificate or will the keyserver send something to my E-mail address?
> >
> > Of all the things I've done, I've never revoked a key before.
>
> I wouldn't worry about expired keys, you CAN revoke the expired ones
> if you wish, but it isn't necessary.
>
> To revoke a key, just import the revocation key and then sync with the
> servers....

Okay, thanks. That worked fine. I'll leave the expired one as is.